Saturday's National League reports

Sutton Utd 1-0 Tranmere Rovers

Danny Fitchett netted the winner as Sutton United ended a run of three straight defeats with a 1-0 win over Tranmere in the National League.

Rovers were looking to momentarily move to the top of the table with victory before their rivals played later in the afternoon but struggled to cope with the artificial pitch at Sutton.

In a tight first half, Sutton striker Fitchett thought he had given the hosts the lead in the 31st minute when he finished coolly into the bottom corner, only for it to be rightly chalked off for offside.

But two minutes after half-time, Fitchett nodded in the winner after getting in front of a defender following a knock down from Maxime Biamou.

Chances were few and far between for either side as the hosts held on for victory while fourth-placed Tranmere's winless run extended to four matches.

Boreham Wood 2-0 Torquay Utd

Boreham Wood managed just a second win in nine games as they overcome Torquay United at Meadow Park.

Luke Garrard's men were 2-0 ahead after just 12 minutes as Tony Jeffrey opened the scoring when he took a long ball forward in his stride and beat Brendan Moore skilfully.

Morgan Ferrier showed strength and determination to hold off defender Giancarlo Gallifuoco as he turned well and shot in to double the lead.

Torquay had a great chance to get back into the game when Femi Ilesanmi handballed in the area, but Nathan Blissett had his penalty saved by Grant Smith before the hosts held on comfortably in a drab second half.

Chester FC 1-0 Braintree Town

Braintree's hangover from last season's promotion disappointment continued as they went down at Chester.

The Blues rode their luck early on when Simeon Akinola hit a post for the visitors, but Chester quickly went up the other end to open the scoring.

Elliott Durrell put the pressure on with a series of corners, and from another dangerous one Sam Hughes found space to stab in the only goal of the game.

The same combination nearly provided a second after the break but this time Hughes headed against the woodwork.

Chester's margin of victory could have been more emphatic as goalkeeper Sam Beasant also made a good save from substitute James Alabi.

Dag & Red 2-0 North Ferriby Utd

Dagenham and Redbridge beat North Ferriby to register an eighth win in 11 matches and go top of the National League.

The Daggers applied early pressure and Jordan Maguire-Drew curled a shot against the crossbar.

It was no surprise when Oliver Hawkins continued his ascent to the top of the scoring charts with his ninth goal of the new season as he headed in Frankie Raymond's cross from the left.

Hawkins hit a post in the second half as John Still's men were frustrated, but Fejiri Okenabirhie crossed for substitute Luke Howell to turn in from close range and put the victory beyond doubt.

Forest Green 1-0 Bromley

Forest Green are up to second place in the National League after edging out Bromley at the New Lawn.

Despite scoring 15 goals in their previous five games the hosts struggled to break down Bromley before the break.

Former Fulham midfielder Keanu Marsh-Brown looked the likeliest for Forest Green, firing several shots just wide, while the lively 24-year-old almost set up Elliott Frear just after the half-hour mark only to be thwarted by Bromley goalkeeper Alan Julian.

Bromley hit a post through Rob Swaine just after the break, but Marsh-Brown finally got a reward for his endeavour by turning in Frear's cross in the 74th minute to score the only goal.

Gateshead 0-0 Solihull Moors

Gateshead were unable to get back to winning ways after being held to a draw by Solihull Moors at Gateshead International Stadium.

Solihull goalkeeper Nathan Vaughan almost gifted Gateshead, who lost to lowly North Ferriby last time out, an early goal.

He slipped in the second minute, with striker Danny Johnson lurking, but managed to recover in time.

From there both keepers had to be on fine form during a tense first 45 minutes, with Johnson continuing to cause problems while Jack Byrne forced a great save out of Gateshead's Dan Hanford in the 43rd minute.

Johnson missed a great chance to clinch it with 10 minutes to go, racing clear from substitute Sam Jones' flick-on only to fire straight at Vaughan from a tight angle.

Lincoln City 1-2 Barrow

Lincoln dropped to third in the National League after Barrow claimed a shock triumph at Sincil Bank.

Richard Bennett headed Barrow into a 14th-minute lead against the run of play after a strong start from the hosts, who went close through Harry Anderson and Matt Rhead early on.

Lincoln, who started the day at the top of the table, continued to push forward and finally got their reward when Nathan Arnold's persistence saw him knock in the rebound from his own blocked shot in the 33rd minute.

Imps goalkeeper Paul Farman denied Byron Harrison with a superb save in the 74th minute, but 11 minutes later the Barrow striker made no mistake to finish off a match-winning counter attack.

Macclesfield Town 0-1 Eastleigh

Eastleigh remain unbeaten under new manager Ronnie Moore after victory over Macclesfield at Moss Rose.

The Silkmen made a decent start but soon found themselves on the back foot as James Constable and Jai Reason both went close for Eastleigh in the early stages.

Danny Whitaker blazed a great opportunity over the bar for the hosts in the 38th minute, before Luke Coulson scored the winner five minutes after the interval.

Constable was inches away from doubling Eastleigh's lead in the 64th minute after Reason crossed in from the byline, but in the end it did not matter as Moore's side extended their unbeaten run to seven games.

Maidstone Utd 1-1 Guiseley

Guiseley were unlucky not to grab a first win of the National League season after battling to a draw at Maidstone.

The hosts took a 14th-minute lead when strikers Bobby-Joe Taylor and Alex Flisher combined for the latter to net his fourth goal of the campaign with a tidy finish.

Neither goalkeeper had been threatened after the break, until the bottom club equalised through on-loan striker Reece Webb-Foster, who made space for himself before bending the ball expertly into the far corner.

There were then chances for both sides as Guiseley pushed on, but Adam Boyes' late cutback could not be converted before substitute Jordan Preston went close twice.

Southport 1-1 Aldershot Town

Struggling Southport came close to securing a much-needed win as they drew with Aldershot following a frantic end to their National league clash at Haig Avenue.

Southport led after 71 minutes when James Gray broke the deadlock, only for Will Evans to equalise eight minutes later.

The hosts had looked dangerous on the break in the first half and finally took the lead when Gray finished well past Jake Cole with a well-driven shot.

Southport then looked to sit deep as the Shots pressed for an equaliser. It didn't take long to come with Evans lashing home after a brilliant counter-attack involving Jake Gallagher and Shamir Fenelon.

Shots went closest to a winner as Walker and Fenelon again combined without finding the net.

Woking 2-0 Wrexham

Fabio Saraiva and Luke Kandi secured Woking's second successive National League win amid their battle to clime out of the National League relegation zone.

Both goals came late on to condemn the visitors to a fourth league defeat of the season.

Saraiva struck from 25 yards out to open the scoring.

Kandi came off the bench to profit from a rebound of Gozie Ugwu's shot and seal the win.

York City 0-1 Dover Athletic

Ricky Miller was once again the difference for Dover as they beat York City at Bootham Crescent.

Miller gave the Whites a deserved lead in the 24th minute, beating the offside trap to fire low and hard across goal past Kyle Letheren - his seventh strike of the season.

The striker was a threat throughout but York were able to restrict him to shots from distance as time went on.

The hosts pushed forward in the second half with Jack Higgins and Matty Dixon going close.

York could have equalised in stoppage time but Steve Arnold blocked Kaine Felix's effort from point-blank range.

Reports supplied by the Press Association