Saturday's League One reports

Bolton Wanderers 2-1 Fleetwood Town

Josh Vela ensured Bolton equalled their best start to a league season in 82 years with a late goal to complete a comeback 2-1 victory over Fleetwood at the Macron Stadium.

Midfielder Vela, linked with a possible switch to Championship neighbours Wigan, thumped in an 84th-minute right-foot effort after Gary Madine cancelled out David Ball's first-half opener.

Phil Parkinson's side have now won all four of their opening games while Vela's goal condemned Fleetwood to a first league defeat of the new campaign.

The only disappointment for Parkinson was a 30th-minute game-ending injury for striker Zach Clough.

Four minutes later the mood deepened as Ball punished a defensive howler by experienced defender Dean Moxey.

Wanderers, however, responded well in the second half as Madine levelled after 50 minutes.

Town keeper Chris Neal made a stunning double save to deny substitute Kaiyne Woolery and Mark Davies. But he had no chance as Vela scored the winner, though Victor Nirennold wasted a great opportunity to equalise deep in stoppage time.

Bradford City 3-1 Coventry City

Three goals in nine dramatic second-half minutes enabled Bradford to maintain their unbeaten start to the season with a 3-1 home win against Coventry.

The visitors deservedly went in ahead in the 13th minute with their first goal of the season through 19-year -old striker Daniel Agyei, who has joined on loan from Burnley.

Agyei intercepted Danny Devine's pass before racing into the penalty area and clipping the ball over the advancing Colin Doyle.

Coventry were good value for their half-time lead but Bradford came back into the game after 66 minutes when Coventry defender Jordan Turnbull, making his debut after joining from Southampton, pulled down Billy Clarke as he burst into the area and was sent off.

Bradford skipper Tony McMahon equalised from the spot and three minutes later they went in front with a superb low 25-yard shot into the corner of the net from winger Mark Marshall.

McMahon then put the result beyond doubt with his second penalty after Josh Cullen was brought down by Vladimir Gadzhev in the 75th minute.

Bury 0-1 Oldham Athletic

Oldham claimed a 1-0 win at local rivals Bury to register their first League One victory of the season.

The Latics had failed to score in their first three league games but took an early lead through Leon Barnett's own goal.

Bury pushed for an equaliser but substitute Nicky Clark missed their best chance with five minutes remaining.

Oldham's early breakthrough came as Paul Green's cross deflected in off the head of Bury debutant Barnett.

The hosts replied with Danny Mayor firing wide but Latics' Lee Erwin then had a low shot superbly turned onto the post by keeper Ben Williams.

Erwin went close twice more before the break and Oldham continued to press after half-time, with Green firing over.

Bury finished strongly, with Clark seeing a close-range effort blocked by keeper Connor Ripley.

Ryan Flynn then broke, only to see Williams turn his shot wide, before Mayor exchanged passes with Zeli Ismail to square for Clark, but the Scottish striker scuffed his shot wide from six yards as Oldham held on for a welcome win.

Millwall 2-1 Sheffield United

Steve Morison's 89th-minute penalty secured a 2-1 victory for Millwall over Sheffield United at The Den.

The 32-year-old coolly tucked away the spot-kick after Jack O'Connell's handball in a thrilling climax. Shaun Williams and Stefan Scougall had traded first-half goals.

Lions boss Neil Harris made two changes to the side thumped 5-1 at Peterborough, with Williams and David Worrall replacing Shane Ferguson and Jimmy Abdou.

The visitors named Paul Coutts in their starting line-up and were quickest out of the blocks with Mark Duffy's cross narrowly eluding Leon Clarke.

But Williams fired the hosts in front on 14 minutes, beating Simon Moore with a low drive after Worrall's corner was not cleared.

United hit back just seven minutes later as Jordan Archer failed to keep out Scougall's tame shot. Lee Gregory wasted a great chance to restore the lead after the break, the striker raced clear on goal but was denied by Moore's outstretched left hand.

Gregory's miss did not prove decisive though, as Morison kept his cool to send Moore the wrong way from the spot and earn the Lions a dramatic victory.

Northampton Town 0-0 AFC Wimbledon

Northampton and AFC Wimbledon shared the spoils in a 0-0 draw at Sixfields where neither side really did enough to warrant all three points.

The visitors created the better openings in a game in which both defences were on top but were barely stretched.

Northampton started brightly, Kenji Gorre testing former Cobblers goalkeeper Ryan Clarke before John-Joe O'Toole headed over from a corner.

Wimbledon replied with Lyle Taylor heading over but at the other end Gorre skipped past three defenders before being denied by Clarke's flying save.

Wimbledon improved as the half progressed - Darius Charles was off target with a header, Jake Reeves had two efforts deflected past the uprights and Tom Elliott headed wide.

Taylor tested Adam Smith after the restart and Reeves fired wide as the visitors picked up from where they left off.

Cobblers struggled to create anything in the final third with Marc Richards and Alex Revell getting little support and no joy against Paul Robinson and Charles.

Elliott went close to breaking the deadlock with a shot on the turn which flew past the post.

Wimbledon posed the greater threat in a poor second half and Robinson's late header hit the bar before being scrambled clear.

Oxford United 2-1 Peterborough United

Chris Maguire's injury-time penalty gave Oxford United a 2-1 victory over in-form Peterborough at the Kassam Stadium, and their first win back in League One.

Maguire was tripped in the box by Jack Baldwin, who was sent off for a second yellow card, and Maguire converted the penalty into the right corner with the match in the third minute of added time.

Posh were bidding for a fourth win in five league and cup games this season, and had put five goals past Millwall in midweek.

But they needed a 62nd-minute equaliser from Tom Nichols, who fired Paul Taylor's cutback into the roof of the net, to get back on level terms.

Wes Thomas had struck straight after the restart to put Oxford in front.

Thomas worked the ball on to his right foot and saw his shot deflect past keeper Ben Alnwick just 12 seconds into the second half, before many fans were back in their seats.

Posh had the better of a scrappy first half. Simon Eastwood superbly tipped over a close-range shot from Gwion Edwards.

In the second half Eastwood made one outstanding save, spreading himself to block Jermaine Anderson's effort. He also showed great agility to prevent a miscued clearance from Josh Ruffels crossing the line for an own goal.

Rochdale 0-1 MK Dons

Scott Wootton's 94th-minute header earned MK Dons a 1-0 victory at Rochdale.

The game appeared to be heading for a goalless conclusion when Conrad Logan kept out Ben Reeves' 76th-minute spot-kick after the Dons substitute had been brought down by Jim McNulty.

But a free-kick from the left deep into time added on from Ed Upson picked out Wootton at the back post and he headed the ball into the top corner of the net.

Logan had earlier denied Nicky Maynard while Dale defender Niall Canavan made a superb block to deny Reeves.

Those chances aside, it was all Rochdale and for all Logan's heroics, Dave Martin in the Dons goal was equally impressive in keeping the home side out.

Martin denied midfielder Matt Lund in the first half and frustrated Donal McDermott with a one-handed save before his best block of the afternoon in the last 10 minutes of the game, a fine stop to divert Ian Henderson's header from point-blank range.

Logan maintained the excellent display of goalkeeping when he kept out Daniel Powell and Kabongo Tshimanga in quick succession while at the other end Calvin Andrew slid a shot wide from close range after a teasing centre from Steven Davies before Wootton settled it in the dying seconds.

Scunthorpe United 5-0 Gillingham

Scunthorpe continued their storming start to the League One season with a comprehensive 5-0 thrashing of previously unbeaten Gillingham.

Most of the damage was done in the first half as they swept into a 3-0 lead.

Gillingham never recovered from a fifth-minute blooper by goalkeeper Stuart Nelson which gifted the home side the lead. He should have collected a speculative 25-yard shot from Kevin van Veen but allowed it to slip through his grasp and into the net.

In-form Scunthorpe made it 2-0 from the penalty spot in the 20th minute when Josh Morris converted confidently after he himself had been brought down just inside the box.

There was no stopping Scunthorpe and on the stroke of half-time they made it 3-0 when full-back Jordan Clarke popped up at the far post to head home an inswinging right-wing corner from Morris.

Gillingham's misery continued in the second half when another mistake by Nelson on 59 minutes allowed a long-range shot from Morris to squeeze past him to make it 4-0.

The visitors were denied even a consolation goal late on when an angled drive from Jay Emmanuel-Thomas was turned away at full stretch by Luke Daniels.

Instead, it was Scunthorpe, now second in the table, who made it 5-0 in the 83rd minute when striker Tom Hopper converted a low cross into the box from Hakeeb Adelakun.

It should have been 6-0 but substitute Scott Laird's tame stoppage-time penalty was easily saved by Nelson after Conor Townsend had been brought down in the box.

Shrewsbury Town 2-1 Chesterfield

Skipper Adam El-Abd headed a late winner as Shrewsbury beat Chesterfield 2-1 to pick up their first League One win of the season.

The hosts started brightly, with on-loan Stoke winger Moha Choulay's fine run and pass setting up an early chance for Ivan Toney which the striker fired wide of the near post.

But Chesterfield, having collected seven points from their opening three league games, struck first when Jay O'Shea drove confidently home from 15 yards in the 14th minute.

Gboly Ariyibi almost doubled the Spireites' lead shortly afterwards, but his low shot was well turned around the near post by goalkeeper Jayson Leutwiler.

Shrewsbury responded well and equalised with their first league goal of the season after 24 minutes as Choulay's corner from the right was headed in by left-back Junior Brown.

Chesterfield ended the half strongly with Leutwiler saving well from both Dan Gardner and O'Shea.

Ched Evans went close for the visitors after the break with a 30-yard free-kick which Leutwiler did well to save before Shrewsbury grabbed the winner six minutes from time when central defender El-Abd powerfully headed in Jim O'Brien's corner from the right.

Southend United 1-1 Bristol Rovers

Simon Cox's late penalty rescued a point for Southend as they drew 1-1 with Bristol Rovers at Roots Hall.

Rovers seemed set for all three points when Peter Hartley headed them in front midway through the second half but Cox's 81st-minute spot-kick ensured the game ended all square.

The Pirates went close to scoring at the end of an uneventful first half when Ollie Clarke saw a 20-yard shot pushed wide of the left post by Shrimpers goalkeeper Mark Oxley.

After the break, Southend winger Stephen McLaughlin had an effort easily gathered by Steve Mildenhall before Matty Taylor's 20-yard shot was tipped over by Oxley.

Rovers netted from the resulting Chris Lines corner from the left-hand side as an unmarked Hartley headed home from inside the six-yard box.

Southend drew level in the 81st minute when referee Gavin Ward harshly adjudged Ellis Harrison to have handled Jack Bridge's left-wing cross and Cox confidently stroked the penalty past Mildenhall.

Swindon Town 1-0 Port Vale

Bradley Barry scored his first goal of the season as he fired Swindon to a 1-0 victory over Port Vale at the County Ground.

Barry - the nephew of Everton midfielder Gareth Barry, who also found the net on Saturday - smashed into the roof of the net two minutes after half-time to celebrate his first senior goal.

The defeat for Port Vale ended their unbeaten start to the season and also stopped them registering a fourth consecutive clean sheet.

Swindon started the better of the two teams but had it not been for resilient defending from Lloyd Jones they could have gone in at half-time trailing.

Jones made a last-ditch tackle to block what looked to have been a certain goal from Port Vale striker JJ Hooper in the 33rd minute.

However, Port Vale switched off early in the second half to allow Michael Doughty to run down the wing and play the ball into Barry, who left Vale goalkeeper Jak Alnwick watching the ball as it soared into the roof of the net.

Walsall 1-2 Charlton Athletic

Nicky Ajose scored twice to open his Charlton account as the Addicks ran out 2-1 winners in an entertaining affair at Walsall.

Summer signing Ajose bundled home Athletic's opener just before half-time and netted the winner, also from close range, on 74 minutes, moments after Kieron Morris had fired Walsall level.

Walsall had the best of the opening half-hour but Charlton goalkeeper Declan Rudd made a superb double save on 29 minutes, foiling Simeon Jackson's point-blank strike and Morris' follow-up.

Back came Charlton as Ajose's classy 20-yard chip clipped the top of the bar.

The Addicks claimed a 42nd-minute lead as Ajose netted home from close range after Josh Magennis nodded down Ricky Holmes' inviting cross.

Walsall levelled on 72 minutes as Rudd allowed Morris' speculative 20-yard strike to find the bottom corner.

But the Addicks were back in front within two minutes as Magennis raced past James O'Connor and crossed for Ajose to poke home from a couple of yards.

Walsall almost levelled deep into stoppage time but Rudd pulled off a spectacular save to tip Jackson's volley onto the bar.

Reports supplied by the Press Association.

Top Stories