Saturday's National League reports

Maidstone Utd 1-1 York

Clovis Kamdjo's second-half header earned York a 1-1 draw and denied Maidstone all three points in their National League opener at the Gallagher Stadium.

Maidstone, promoted via the National League South play-offs last season, went ahead on 22 minutes when Bobby-Joe Taylor latched onto a punched clearance from Scott Flinders and played a neat one-two with Alex Flisher before fizzing a left-footed shot across the York goalkeeper.

But Jackie McNamara's York, who finished bottom of League Two last term, secured a share of the spoils midway through the second half when Cameroonian midfielder Kamdjo powered home a fine header from Aidan Connolly's corner.

Barrow 1-0 Aldershot Town

Barrow debutant Liam Hughes got off to a flyer as his early goal was enough to beat Aldershot at Holker Street.

The midfielder rifled home from 15 yards after just seven minutes to earn Paul Cox's side a winning start to the new campaign.

The 23-year-old, who left Inverness in the summer, pounced after Aldershot failed to clear Jordan Williams' cross and his powerful strike hit the bar before going in, giving Jake Cole no chance.

Gary Waddock's side responded well, with Shamir Fenelon hitting a post after 14 minutes and Bernard Mensah going close on a number of occasions.

They played their part in a frenetic contest as both sides continued to push after the break, but the hosts did just enough to deny Waddock in his first game back in charge of Aldershot.

Boreham Wood 1-0 Forest Green

Ricky Shakes helped Boreham Wood stun last season's National League high-flyers Forest Green Rovers 1-0 at Meadow Park.

Shakes made no mistake when a block by Dale Bennett fell kindly for him in the box on the half-hour mark, rifling past goalkeeper Sam Russell.

Prior to the goal and for long periods after that, Forest Green Rovers, who lost to Grimsby in last term's play-off final after finishing second overall, created chances and just could not finish them off.

Portuguese midfielder Bruno Andrade was a constant threat for the hosts, though, and he nearly rubber-stamped the victory with a late burst into the box, only to be denied by Russell.

Bromley 0-2 Tranmere

James Norwood's first-half brace was enough to give Tranmere a 2-0 win at Bromley to start their 2016-17 National League campaign in style.

The 25-year-old, who scored 19 goals for the Prenton Park outfit last year, got Rovers off to a dream start after nine minutes, firing past Alan Julian from Connor Jennings' pinpoint cross.

Blair Turgott missed a gilt-edged chance to equalise for the hosts from six yards after 40 minutes. Tobi Sho-Silva seemingly did all the hard work, ghosting past Tranmere's backline, but the West Ham youth product hit his effort wide.

Four minutes later Norwood made it 2-0, prodding home Andy Cook's flick from Liam Ridehalgh's cross and that was enough for the Merseysiders to make their 500-mile round trip a fruitful one.

Dagenham & Redbridge 3-0 Southport

Dagenham & Redbridge made light work of their first game back in the National League in nine years, cruising to a 3-0 win over Southport.

Fejiri Okenabirhie played a starring role for Daggers, opening the scoring on the rebound after 15 minutes, before his determination to win the ball back in the corner allowed him to tee up Luke Guttridge to make it 2-0 after 23 minutes.

Brighton loanee Jordan Maguire-Drew had a chance to make it 3-0 from the spot just before half-time, but his penalty was at a good height for Southport goalkeeper Tyrell Belford, who got both hands to it down to his left.

Dagenham announced the signings of strikers Paul Benson and Corey Whitely at half-time and Maguire-Drew added to the feel-good factor by wrapping up the scoring after 67 minutes.

Eastleigh 2-1 Guiseley

Eastleigh started their National League season with a comfortable 2-1 victory against Guiseley at Ten Acres.

Midfielder Andy Drury opened his account after 11 minutes when he finished well after good build-up play from Jai Reason and James Constable.

Jon Partington doubled Eastleigh's lead just before the break when he was left unmarked to nod home Jake Howells' free-kick.

Striker Michael Rankine halved the deficit with a header of his own for Guiseley in the 57th minute but the away side struggled to get the equalising goal.

Gateshead 3-0 Chester FC

Gateshead got their National League campaign off to the perfect start, recording a 3-0 victory over Chester.

There were chances for both teams in an open first half but neither side could get on the scoresheet before the break.

The hosts flew out of the blocks in the second half and almost took the lead in the 55th minute when James Bolton headed narrowly wide.

Gateshead finally broke the deadlock seven minutes later when Wes York's effort hit the goalkeeper and ended up in the back of Chester's net.

They doubled their advantage in the 82nd minute when York fired in after good work from substitute Ryan Bowman, and the home side added a third five minutes later when Manny Smith nodded in from close range.

Macclesfield 2-0 Torquay

Ollie Norburn marked his Macclesfield debut with a stunning volley as Torquay were beaten 2-0 at Moss Lane.

Norburn's sweet strike from outside the area gave Gulls goalkeeper Brendan Moore no chance as the ball flew into the top corner with 24 minutes on the clock.

Chris Holroyd confirmed victory on 65 minutes with a second memorable goal as his fierce strike went in off the crossbar.

North Ferriby Utd 0-0 Braintree

North Ferriby's first game in English football's fifth tier ended in a goalless draw with Braintree.

Close to 600 people turned out in East Yorkshire to see Steve Housham's men make their National League bow and watched on as the frame of the goal was struck three times.

Danny Clarke had a first-half shot blocked for the Villagers and then Curtis Bateson looked to have given them the lead, only to see his effort bounce out off the bar.

The same two players were involved again just before the break, Clarke denied by Jamie Butler in the Braintree goal after being teed up by Bateson.

Town sub Jake Goodman became the next player to hit the bar, nodding against the woodwork as the game entered its last 20 minutes, which passed without incident other than Ferriby hacking off the line amid a scramble which also saw the ball hit the post.

Sutton Utd 1-3 Solihull Moors

National League North winners Solihull Moors made a promising start to life in the fifth tier by beating southern champions Sutton 3-1.

The Moors, playing at this level for the first time in their history, drew first blood at Gander Green Lane as Darryl Knights set up Ryan Beswick for a close-range opener in the 38th minute.

Sutton were level two minutes before half-time, though, Dean Beckwith heading home from a corner after the U's had enjoyed a dominant spell.

Marcus Bignot's Solihull side would secured all three points with two goals in the second half. Debutant Omari Sterling-James volleyed a 53rd-minute strike past Ross Worner and 14 minutes from time Shep Murombedzi flicked the ball into the path of Andy Brown, who scored in the far corner.

Woking 1-3 Lincoln City

Matt Rhead's second-half brace ensured Lincoln started the National League season with a 3-1 victory over Woking at Kingfield.

City went ahead in the 27th minute when Rhead headed down Paul Farman's free-kick and Adam Marriott turned his marker to fire home a left-footed effort.

The hosts were level two minutes after the break when Ismail Yakubu prodded home from close range after a corner had been flicked on at the near post.

Lincoln retook the lead in the 60th minute as a quick free-kick from Alex Woodyard found Jack Muldoon and his cross picked out Rhead, who made no mistake in beating Michael Poke.

Rhead then wrapped up victory from the penalty spot in the 72nd minute after Jonny Margetts was tripped.

But he missed the chance of a hat-trick seven minutes later when Poke tipped a second penalty around the post after Bradley Wood was bundled over.

Wrexham 0-0 Dover Athletic

Wrexham were held to a goalless draw by Dover Athletic on the opening day of the National League season.

Eight of Wrexham's 18 summer signings started, including Shaun Harrad, who had a first-half goal ruled out for offside.

Dragons captain Sean Newton's acrobatic diving header cleared Tyrone Marsh's effort off the goal line.

Dover debutant Jim Stevenson struck the crossbar and home keeper Chris Dunn made a vital save to deny Ricky Miller.

Reports supplied by the Press Association.