Scottish Championship

Scottish Championship: Falkirk 2-1 Rangers

By Tom EnglishBBC Scotland
Falkirk's Danny Rogers (left) celebrates at the final whistle
Danny Rogers (left) saved Martyn Waghorn's penalty

Danny Rogers saved Martyn Waghorn's stoppage-time penalty to give Falkirk a win over Championship leaders Rangers.

John Baird opened the scoring for Falkirk with an early penalty, wrongly awarded by referee Willie Collum.

Barrie McKay equalised with a low drive before the splendid Will Vaulks put Falkirk back in front after the break.

Rangers created multiple chances but could not beat Rogers again - even when they were awarded a ridiculously soft penalty in the dying minutes.

Rogers dived low to his left and tipped Waghorn's effort on to the post.

Third-placed Falkirk's win reduced the gap on Rangers to six points, with Hibernian between them in second.

This game was firecracker stuff right from the get-go.

Danny Wilson hauled down Vaulks for that first penalty, but it was plain to most inside Falkirk Stadium that the foul was committed outside the box. Plain to all - except the officials.

It was Collum who pointed to the spot, with encouragement from his assistant referee, and it was Baird who fired it home - his 14th goal of a fine season.

Goalkeeper Wes Foderingham got a hand to it but could not deny Falkirk their dream beginning.

Collum got stick from the home support in the aftermath, but Wilson's role cannot be ignored. He had no need to sell himself in the way he did.

In doing so, he merely confirmed the feeling that Rangers have major issues at centre-half. Their vulnerability was a recurring theme of the day.

Rangers responded impressively when a Nathan Oduwa cross was flicked on by James Tavernier to the feet of McKay. The midfielder thumped a shot low past Rogers. Short-lived joy for the visitors as it turned out.

Peter Houston's team are on a terrific run. Coming into this one, they had five wins and two draws from their last seven games. They've scored an average of three goals per game in that run.

Their confidence is sky high and they should have been back in front midway through the first half. This was a bizarre incident.

Rangers' Martyn Waghorn strikes his stoppage-time penalty
Martyn Waghorn's penalty kick was knocked on to the post by goalkeeper Danny Rogers

Once again, Falkirk got in behind Rangers. The impressive teenager, Kevin O'Hara, curled in a goal-bound shot that was touched home by Baird while standing in an offside position.

Baird had no need to help it on its way. A picture of remorse, he immediately apologised.

Not that it bothered them unduly. Falkirk were deeply menacing at the beginning of the second half.

Craig Sibbald forced a save from Foderingham then the excellent Vaulks rifled in Falkirk's second after more uncertainty in the Rangers defence.

Soon after, Foderingham touched an O'Hara shot on to his post and then denied the youngster for a second time with another terrific save. Rangers were wide open and asking for trouble.

The visitors rallied and piled the pressure on their hosts. Nicky Law hit the crossbar and Kenny Miller and Andy Halliday had efforts beaten away by Rogers. Falkirk held out.

For them, this was a huge victory in what is becoming an intriguing season. For Rangers, more dropped points and more vulnerability.



Formation 4-4-1-1

  • 1Rogers
  • 4MuirheadBooked at 87mins
  • 14Grant
  • 5McCracken
  • 3LeahyBooked at 35mins
  • 8Alston
  • 6Vaulks
  • 11Kerr
  • 10Sibbald
  • 30O'HaraSubstituted forMillerat 76'minutes
  • 9BairdSubstituted forShepherdat 81'minutes


  • 17Smith
  • 18Miller
  • 21Tokarczyk
  • 22Blair
  • 23Shepherd
  • 33Gallacher
  • 44Watson


Formation 4-4-1-1

  • 25Foderingham
  • 2Tavernier
  • 4Kiernan
  • 27WilsonBooked at 3minsSubstituted forClarkat 81'minutes
  • 5Wallace
  • 10OduwaSubstituted forMillerat 65'minutes
  • 16Halliday
  • 23Holt
  • 19McKay
  • 22ShielsSubstituted forLawat 65'minutes
  • 33Waghorn


  • 6Ball
  • 7Law
  • 9Miller
  • 14Clark
  • 20Aird
  • 32Kelly
  • 45Thompson
William Collum

Match Stats

Home TeamFalkirkAway TeamRangers
Shots on Target

Live Text

  1. Post update

    Match ends, Falkirk 2, Rangers 1.

  2. Full Time

    Second Half ends, Falkirk 2, Rangers 1.

  3. Post update

    Penalty missed! Still Falkirk 2, Rangers 1. Martyn Waghorn (Rangers) hits the right post with a right footed shot.

  4. Post update

    Penalty conceded by Blair Alston (Falkirk) with a hand ball in the penalty area.

  5. Post update

    Corner, Rangers. Conceded by Mark Kerr.

  6. Post update

    Attempt saved. Andy Halliday (Rangers) left footed shot from outside the box is saved in the bottom left corner.

  7. Post update

    Rob Kiernan (Rangers) wins a free kick on the left wing.

  8. Post update

    Foul by Scott Shepherd (Falkirk).

  9. Booking

    Aaron Muirhead (Falkirk) is shown the yellow card for a bad foul.

  10. Post update

    Attempt blocked. James Tavernier (Rangers) right footed shot from outside the box is blocked.

  11. Post update

    Attempt missed. Andy Halliday (Rangers) left footed shot from outside the box is too high.

  12. Post update

    Corner, Rangers. Conceded by Luke Leahy.

  13. Substitution

    Substitution, Falkirk. Scott Shepherd replaces John Baird.

  14. Substitution

    Substitution, Rangers. Nicky Clark replaces Danny Wilson.

  15. Post update

    Attempt blocked. Nicky Law (Rangers) right footed shot from the centre of the box is blocked.

  16. Post update

    Corner, Rangers. Conceded by Danny Rogers.

  17. Post update

    Attempt saved. Andy Halliday (Rangers) left footed shot from the centre of the box is saved in the bottom left corner.

  18. Post update

    Corner, Rangers. Conceded by Luke Leahy.

  19. Post update

    Corner, Rangers. Conceded by Danny Rogers.

  20. Substitution

    Substitution, Falkirk. Lee Miller replaces Kevin O'Hara.

As It Stood

4Raith Rovers178362223-127
6Queen of Sth186481827-922
8St Mirren173681624-815
View full Scottish Championship table

Top Stories