Bafetimbi Gomis fainting incident 'frightening', admits Neil Taylor

Swansea striker Bafetimbi Gomis was conscious and speaking as he was carried off at White Hart Lane
Swansea striker Bafetimbi Gomis was conscious and speaking as he was carried off at White Hart Lane

Neil Taylor praised medical staff for dealing swiftly with Swansea City team-mate Bafetimbi Gomis, after the striker fainted during their loss at Tottenham.

France striker Gomis, 29, has a pre-existing medical condition that makes him susceptible to fainting.

But Taylor says the incident caused extra concern at White Hart Lane, which in 2012 saw ex-Bolton player Fabrice Muamba suffer a cardiac arrest.

"It's frightening when something like that happens on the pitch," he said.

"Especially here - they must have been really worried - but they [the medical staff] got on the pitch really quickly and dealt with it perfectly."

Muamba recovered but never played again and some of the Tottenham players were visibly shaken when Gomis collapsed in the eighth minute of Wednesday's Premier League game.

Nabil Bentaleb
Tottenham's Nabil Bentaleb was unable to look as Gomis received treatment

Gomis, who joined Swansea from Lyon last summer, had a series of medical tests in 2009 after three episodes of fainting while he was at the French club.

They indicated no serious threat to his health, but Gomis' first fainting episode as a Swansea player still caused understandable concern despite the club being aware of his medical history.

Swansea confirmed that Gomis was "fine" after he was carried off on a stretcher, although the striker was still taken to hospital as a precaution.

"Obviously it was really concerning and luckily the paramedics got on quick and dealt with it," Wales full-back Taylor said.

"I've heard he's okay, which is good, so obviously we wish him well and thankfully everything went how it was supposed to and was dealt with properly.

"The game went on and it's unfortunate we couldn't get a result for him."

Gomis' collapse came just after Tottenham had taken the lead through a fine Nacer Chadli volley.

Swansea equalised through Ki Sung-yueng soon after play restarted.

But after half-time Ryan Mason's first league goal restored Spurs' lead and Andros Townsend made it 3-1.

Swansea midfielder Gylfi Sigurdsson set up a tense finish with a late strike against his former club, but Spurs held on despite intense late pressure from the visitors.

"We've come through a tough spell second half and we got the goal, and we thought maybe we could go on and get something," Taylor added.

"We pushed and we huffed and puffed and could have scored, had a couple of chances.

"But we can't be too disappointed, we've come here and tested a really good team in the Premier League with some great players.

"We just have to move on and play Liverpool now on Monday [16 March]."