Irish Premiership: Linfield 1-3 Cliftonville

Linfield's Stephen Lowry in action against Jude Winchester of Cliftonville
Linfield lost 3-1 at home to Belfast rivals Cliftonville

Champions Cliftonville came from behind to beat Premiership leaders Linfield in Saturday's big clash at Windsor Park.

The Blues took the lead when Andrew Waterworth hammered in on 14 minutes and then Ivan Sproule blasted over from a good chance to make it 2-0.

Linfield were made to pay as the visitors pulled level through Jude Winchester before half-time.

Former Derry City star David McDaid made it 2-1 in the 49th minute with Eamonn Seydak adding the third.

The victory means Tommy Breslin's men are level with Linfield and new leaders Portadown on 24 points at the top of the table.

The Ports beat Ballymena 2-1 and now lead the table on goal difference.

Andrew Waterworth scored the first goal but his Linfield side lost 3-1 at home to Cliftonville
Andrew Waterworth scored the first goal but his Linfield side lost 3-1 at home to Cliftonville

It was the third week in a row Cliftonville had beaten the league leaders, following wins over Crusaders and Portadown.

Linfield fans will wonder how they team ended up being well beaten after enjoying the better of things in the first half.

A goal had seemed to be coming when Aaron Burns nodded on for Waterworth to fire Warren Feeney's men in front.

Cliftonville's Chris Curran sent a low shot wide from the edge of the box but it should have been 2-0 for Linfield when Sproule was presented with a great chance.

The former Northern Ireland winger skied his close-range effort and it was a big reprieve for the title holders.

Cliftonville come from a goal down to beat Linfield 3-1 at Windsor Park

Winchester worked his way in the box and played a one-two with Seydak before shooting in Cliftonville's 43rd-minute equaliser.

The Reds edged into the lead when McDaid diverted the ball in from Seydak's ball in from the left.

Burns saw a header bounce down and hot the post as Linfield pressed for an equaliser.

However, it was Cliftonville who scored the final goal of the game, Seydak racing through to make it 3-1 17 minutes from time.

Cliftonville's Eamonn Seydak: "It was nice to get a goal, it was long overdue for me.

"Tommy had been encouraging me to get into more attacking positions and I was glad to tuck it away.

"Linfield started really well and put us under pressure.

"They got a good goal and had a chance to make it two. Our goal just before half-time really changed things."

Top Stories