Irish Premiership: Warrenpoint Town 0-2 Cliftonville

Cliftonville maintain their title challenge with a 2-0 victory over Warrenpoint at Stangmore Park

Cliftonville remain two points behind Premiership leaders Linfield as Liam Boyce's goal and George McMullan's late penalty saw off Warrenpoint Town.

Boyce missed a glorious 28th-minute chance but he made no mistake 12 minutes later after his initial effort had been blocked.

Warrenpoint fought back bravely in the second half but McMullan's penalty on 89 sealed Cliftonville's win.

It looked a harsh spot-kick with Mark Hughes adjudged to have handled.

Referee Raymond Hetherington awarded the penalty even though it appeared that Hughes had accidentally handled after falling on the ball.

With Chris Curran and Martin Donnelly both looking dangerous in their wide midfield roles, the Reds dominated the opening period at Stangmore Park.

Boyce looked certain to put the Reds ahead on 28 after he rounded Warrenpoint keeper Jonathan Parr but the striker somehow managed to chip wide with the goal gaping.

However, Boyce atoned for that miss five minutes before the break as he lashed home from close range after the Warrenpoint defence had failed to clear his initial effort, following a Donnelly free-kick.

As the fluent Reds totally dominated the opening period, Gormley went close to doubling their lead before half-time but Parr produced a fine save.

To their credit, Warrenpoint attempted to make a game of it in the second period and the impressive Ryan Catney had to make a timely block to prevent Liam Bagnall getting in a shot.

As Warrenpoint continued to rally, Daniel Hughes then tested Reds keeper Conor Devlin after a fine move.

However, the champions were continuing to create the clear-cut chances and Parr had to make a good save to deny Boyce after fine approach work by impressive central midfielders Catney and Barry Johnston.

Gormley should have doubled Cliftonville's lead on 80 minutes as he mis-kicked at the crucial moment but the three points were secure a minute from time as McMullan lashed in his penalty.

It looked a highly debatable call by the referee but McMullan showed no mercy from the spot.