Irish Premiership: Glentoran 0-2 Portadown

Portadown defeat Glentoran in Oval Premiership clash

Portadown boosted their hopes of getting back into the title mix as they ended Glentoran's unbeaten run by winning Monday's Premiership game.

Glentoran edged the first half with Mark Miskimmin missing a great chance.

Darren Murray wasted a Ports first-half chance but Gary Twigg put the visitors ahead on 52 minutes after a fine move.

David Scullion hit the Ports woodwork on 83 but the visitors sealed the win on 85 as Murray netted after Elliott Morris had saved his penalty.

After an eight-game unbeaten run, the Glens went into the contest knowing that victory would move them back into the top three.

The home side started the brighter with Richard Clarke particularly prominent in the middle of the park.

Darren Murray and Gary Twigg scored Portadown's goals at the Oval
Darren Murray and Gary Twigg scored Portadown's goals at the Oval

The former Newry player tested David Miskelly early on and Scullion then wasted a chance to put the Glens ahead on 15 minutes as he fired straight at the Ports keeper from 12 yards as the ball sat up invitingly.

After a lull in proceedings, the game livened up in the 10 minutes before the break as both sides created chances.

Portadown's Josh Barton cut inside from the left wing on 37 minutes but his shot from the edge of the box went straight at Morris.

The Glens should have taken the lead a minute later as Miskimmin failed to connect from six yards out after great work by Scullion.

Moments later, Murray missed a glorious chance at the other end as he poked wide after playing a neat one-two with Peter McMahon.

The Ports did take the lead seven minutes after the break with Twigg sliding the ball home from close range after Sean Mackle's superb pass had released Chris Casement to fire in the perfect low cross.

Glentoran seemed rattled by the Portadown goal as the visitors forced a succession of free-kicks on the edge of the home team's penalty area.

Jimmy Callacher had to make an acrobatic clearance, with the help of a post, to prevent an own goal in the 65th minute after Mark Clarke's attempted defensive headed had looped back over Morris.

As the Glens finally began to rally, Scullion wasted a glorious chance to level on 74 minutes as he headed a Marcus Kane cross over from close range after the referee had opted to play the advantage.

To his credit, Scullion was unlucky on 83 as his curling shot from the edge of the box rattled off the post with Miskelly beaten.

The points were secured by the Ports two minutes later as Murray stabbed home a rebound after his own penalty had been saved by Morris.

The spot-kick had been awarded after Callacher had clearly handled a Tim Mouncy nod-on from a Casement corner-kick.

Portadown stay fifth after the win but they are now only a point behind the Glens and seven adrift of leaders Crusaders.

Top Stories