Charlton-Doncaster game abandoned

Doncaster's player argue with referee Lee Collins as their game with Charlton is abandoned

Charlton and Doncaster's match at The Valley was controversially called off at half-time because of a waterlogged pitch when Rovers were leading 3-1.

Heavy rain made conditions difficult from kick-off and referee Lee Collins initially suspended play after 26 minutes with the visitors leading 3-0.

Rovers players tried to help clear water and play resumed, but Collins deemed conditions unsafe at the break.

Doncaster boss Paul Dickov said the way the game was abandoned was "shambolic".

Media playback is not supported on this device

Dickov 'disgusted' by abandonment

No new date has yet been announced for the rearranged Championship fixture that Dickov believes should not have been suspended in the first place.

"We were playing some really good stuff, so for the referee to suspend play was disappointing," he said.

"Then 15 minutes later it was no worse. Because of the way he has done it, it's shambolic. I didn't see one bad tackle and both sets of players deserve credit and wanted to continue.

"The referee could have let the game go on longer. I thought we were fantastic for 30 minutes. He should have let play go for as long as he could before half-time. Once he made the decision to take us off, he put a whole lot of pressure on himself. It's a tough decision for him to make.

"The pleasing thing for me is the more we play the better we get. If the goals and result don't [stand], it has to be the worst decision ever and such a contradiction. It's something we have to look at."

Paul Keegan had headed Rovers into the lead with just two minutes gone and Chris Brown doubled the lead when he turned in Theo Robinson's cross.

Groundstaff tend to the sodden playing surface at the The Valley
Groundstaff tend to the sodden playing surface at the The Valley

Rovers managed to add a third goal when Michael Morrison's clearance hit Brown in the face and sailed into the net after 23 minutes.

But with rain lashing down and puddles of water forming on the pitch, Collins decided to suspend play - much to the away side's disgust.

Eight Charlton groundstaff with pitchforks were joined by Doncaster players James Husband and Robinson as they tried to clear the pitch of standing water.

When play resumed after a 30-minute break, Simon Church pulled a goal back for the hosts when he smashed home a loose ball in the box.

And their hopes were further boosted when Keegan was sent off for two yellow cards just before the interval.

Media playback is not supported on this device

Referee had a tough call - Powell

But the match was then abandoned at the break as Collins decided the pitch had deteriorated to such an extent that player safety had become an issue.

Addicks manager Chris Powell had sympathy with Dickov.

"I know Paul will be despondent and rightly so. But we were ready to go out," Powell added.

"There were problems on one side, but there were two teams out there that scored four and I'm sure many of us would say a few years back you would carry on. It's tough."