Middlesbrough 1-1 Blackpool

Middlesbrough v Blackpool

A stoppage-time goal from Marvin Emnes saw Middlesbrough salvage a point against Blackpool at the Riverside.

The second-half substitute drove home from an Albert Adomah cross in the fourth minute of time added on.

Blackpool took the lead after 83 minutes of a scrappy encounter when Chris Basham latched onto a rebound from Barry Ferguson's free-kick.

Clear-cut chances were scarce until Basham struck, with Emnes' goal ending Blackpool's 100% Championship record.

Middlesbrough, already beaten at home by Leicester in the league and Accrington Stanley in the Capital One Cup, started well with winger Mustapha Carayol shooting straight at goalkeeper Matt Gilks, then firing wide.

Dean Whitehead cleared off the line to deny Blackpool's Neal Bishop before half-time, while Adomah and Lukas Jutkiewicz were off-target with a shot and a header respectively after the break.

The goal finally came when Ferguson's free-kick fell to defender Basham after hitting the wall. He swept the ball home just inside the post.

But the home side drew level when Gilks's punched clearance dropped nicely for Emnes after Adomah's cross.

Middlesbrough manager Tony Mowbray:

"It was a bit frustrating. Getting a point was the least we deserved and yet it was a game we all felt we should have won.

"Yes, the equaliser came at the death and it has taken the sting out of what would have been a very disappointing defeat but we feel we should have taken all three points.

"It would have been an injustice if we hadn't got something. We got our just reward in the end.

"I couldn't see them scoring to be honest. Defensively we looked solid and we didn't look like we would concede and then we were undone by a momentary lapse at a set-play.

"That said, we didn't make our possession count. We have said it before but we have to be more productive with our opportunities."

Blackpool boss Paul Ince:

"It was two points lost for us definitely. When you are a goal up at 90 minutes you expect to hold on.

"I was surprised they got it back at that point but, then again, it happened for us at Barnsley last week when we snatched it late on so you always know it is possible.

"I thought we got it tactically spot on for most of the game. We stopped them playing and I thought they were running out of ideas so to lose it then was disappointing.

"But you can't argue with the lads. They give you everything. They have cuts and bruises and everything. The team spirit has been fantastic.

"We should be sat here now with nine points but if you had said to me that three games in we'd have the seven points I'd have taken that. It's a fantastic return really, especially given our problems with injuries and a depleted squad."