Hereford United: Chester defender Dominic Collins joins Bulls

Edgar Street

Hereford United have made their fifth new signing of the summer by bringing in young centre-half Dominic Collins.

The 22-year-old former Preston North End trainee was on a one-year contract at Chester last season, scoring once in 22 starts as part of their Blue Square Bet North title-winning team.

But, despite his deal expiring at the Deva Stadium, he will now still play Conference Premier football next term.

Collins' move follows Wednesday's deals for Chris Bush and Danny Pilkington.

Prior to the arrival of Gateshead left-back Bush and Kidderminster Harriers winger Pilkington, Hereford had already brought in Cambridge United striker Sam Smith and Luton Town winger Dan Walker.

"Dom has a lot of potential and it's our job to make sure he reaches his potential with us," said Bulls boss Martin Foyle. "I am sure he, along with Rod McDonald, will benefit from working alongside Luke Graham."

Having finished the season in financial disarray, Bulls boss Foyle now has nine first-team players signed up for next season.

As well as their five summer signings, on top of the already-contracted Chris Sharp, Hereford also last week signed up skipper Luke Graham, midfielder Josh O'Keefe and defender Rod McDonald on new deals.

Foyle is still awaiting decisions from goalkeeper James Bittner, defenders Chris Carruthers and Joe Heath, winger Craig Jones and striker Marlon Jackson.

On top of six players being released and three loan players returning to their parent clubs, Foyle has lost four players from the side that finished last season.

Top scorer Ryan Bowman was signed by York City,winger Marley Watkins has joined Scottish Premier League side Inverness Caledonian Thistle and centre-half Stefan Stam has returned to the Netherlands, while midfielder Sam Clucas is on the brink of signing for Mansfield Town.

Meanwhile, Bulls chairman David Keyte has confirmed the club's continued commitment to young players.

"I can state categorically that there are no plans to stop the Youth pathway programme that we reopened in the summer of 2010," said Keyte.

"It remains a key strategic objective of the current board of directors that we, one day, have the opportunity to cheer on local lads in our first team."