QPR: Tony Fernandes unsure of quick Premier League return
Chairman Tony Fernandes believes that it might take Queens Park Rangers "two or three seasons" before they return to the Premier League.
The west London side have won only four league games this season and their relegation was confirmed following last weekend's 0-0 draw against Reading.
Fernandes said the club were focused on their long-term future and wanted to get the "player infrastructure" right.
"It might take us two or three seasons," Fernandes told BBC Sport.
When asked if QPR were prepared to play the "long game", the Malaysian added: "We may have to. And there are a couple of things that we're looking at. Do we invest in lots and lots of young players like Aston Villa?
"We have to go for the long term, we may not come up straight away.
"But we'll get the infrastructure of the players right. We've got everything else right in terms of the brand, in terms of the exposure, the plans for the training ground, the stadium. We've just got to get that player infrastructure right."
Fernandes, who earlier in the week revealed that Harry Redknapp would be remaining as manager, had been critical of some of QPR's current players in a statement published on the club website on Monday.
"It's heartbreaking for me when we lose. I don't want to go out, I just want to stay at home," he had said.
"I haven't said it throughout the season because it wasn't right to be said, but it hurt me when I saw some of the players who didn't feel the way I felt.
"And in fact, in their case, it should be worse because this is their job, it's their life. It was probably the low point for me when I saw the reaction of some of the players."
Since Fernandes became majority shareholder of the club in August 2011, he has brought the likes of Shaun-Wright Phillips, Djibril Cisse, Anton Ferdinand, Bobby Zamora, Christopher Samba and Loic Remy to Loftus Road - with the latter two arriving in January for a reported combined total of £20.5m.