Benfica 3-1 Fenerbahce (agg 3-2)

Benfica's Oscar Cardozo celebrates

Oscar Cardozo scored twice as Benfica dramatically overcame Fenerbahce in Lisbon to set up a Europa League final against Chelsea.

Trailing 1-0 from the first leg, Benfica levelled the tie when Nicolas Gaitan stabbed in the opener.

Fenerbahce restored their overall lead through Dirk Kuyt's penalty, which left Benfica needing to score two goals.

But Cardozo fired in after a quick free-kick and then clinically lashed in the decisive goal from close range.

Benfica meet Chelsea, who beat Basel in the other semi-final, in the final in Amsterdam on 15 May.

However, despite a dominant performance it was far from comfortable for the Portuguese side, as the tie remained dramatically poised right until the final whistle.

As the match moved into its final minutes another goal for the Turkish side would have levelled the tie 3-3 on aggregate and Fenerbahce would have progressed on the away goals rule.

But the visitors failed to fully test Benfica goalkeeper Artur as the home side completed a deserved win to spark joyous celebrations at the Estadio da Luz.

Fenerbahce's Dirk Kuyt
Dirk Kuyt's penalty put Fenerbahce in command

Fenerbahce will be left ruing their failure to take a greater advantage over to Portugal after they controlled the first leg in Istanbul.

Benfica boss Jorge Jesus claimed he was concerned about his players suffering from fatigue before the game as the Portuguese leaders are aiming to clinch a treble of winning the Primeira Liga, Portuguese Cup and the Europa League.

But they did not look jaded as they attacked Fenerbahce from the first whistle.

The away side appeared nervous in the opening stages and it took just nine minutes for the Portuguese team to restore parity in the tie.

Benfica forward Lima evaded a poor Fenerbahce offside trap to pick out Gaitan, who exquisitely met the cross first time to prod in with the outside of his left boot from 12 yards.

Roared on by an expectant home crowd, Benfica were firmly in command before Fenerbahce were handed an unlikely equaliser by a harshly-awarded penalty.

The ball hit the hand of unsuspecting Benfica defender Ezequiel Garay as he challenged for a high ball, allowing Kuyt to confidently fire into the bottom left corner.

That potentially crucial away goal eliminated the prospect of extra-time and penalties - and Benfica knew they would have to score twice, without conceding again, to progress.

The home side edged ahead when quick-thinking from Enzo Perez caught Fenerbahce out and gave Cardozo the opportunity to calmly turn and drill into the bottom corner.

Benfica continued to dominate after the break as they searched for a vital third and it arrived when Cardozo pounced again.

Fenerbahce failed to clear a long throw into their penalty area and, after Luisao's effort fortunately fell to the Paraguayan, he maintained his composure to put Benfica into their first continental final since a European Cup defeat by AC Milan in 1990.

Benfica coach Jorge Jesus:

"We knew after Istanbul that we were a better team than them overall. They didn't create many problems for us.

"This is historic given the last time Benfica got to a European final and we get there with all justice.

"Our dynamic was stronger, pace higher and we managed to keep it throughout the match because we kept the ball. They scored from a penalty but never really created a lot of problems."