New league proposals must come soon, says Celtic chief executive
Celtic chief executive Peter Lawwell expects Scotland's league structure to remain the same for next season unless new proposals are submitted quickly.
First Division clubs and two others met to discuss league reform on Monday.
"If we don't get something coming forward, say, this week then that's it, we need to move on and play in the same structure [next season]," said Lawwell.
"I'm unsure whether there are any further proposals that will come forward between now and the summer.
"If there are they need to be dealt with quickly. But if not, then we go into next season with the status quo and I'm sure there'll be a bit more work done over next year."
A planned SFL vote on the 12-12-18 proposals was called off in the wake of the SPL's rejection of the plan.
An 11-1 majority is needed for top-flight approval and two clubs voted against the model, which would have involved the top two divisions splitting into three divisions of eight midway through the season.
"We were all very disappointed that those proposals didn't get through last week," added Lawwell on BBC Radio 5live.
"For us at Celtic, it's a shame for Scottish football. We felt that would be for the greater good.
"I guess the thing that everybody wants here is stability."
Scottish Premier League bottom club Dundee and Second Division winners Queen of the South met with all 10 Division One clubs and Scottish Football League chief executive David Longmuir at Hamilton's New Douglas Park.
The prospect of an 'SPL2' was expected to form part of the discussion but BBC Scotland has learned it was not on the agenda.
Afterwards, a spokesman said on behalf of those who had attended: "The clubs still feel there is a willingness for change and a window of opportunity still exists to agree on a way forward, and what can be accepted for the benefit of all 42 clubs.
"Accordingly, a small working group will seek to discuss with the relevant bodies how we can best progress the way forward as soon as possible."