Cyprus Cup 2013: Scotland hold England in eight goal thriller

By Tony LeightonWomen's football reporter in Cyprus
Thrilling 4-4 draw disappoints Smith

England and Scotland fought out a thrilling 4-4 draw in their second Group A match at the Cyprus Cup.

The two sides exchanged the lead throughout the match, with Kelly Smith putting England 4-3 ahead with 13 minutes remaining.

But substitute Emma Mitchell drew the Scots level on 82 minutes to earn their first point of the tournament following their opening defeat to New Zealand.

Northern Ireland lost 3-0 to South Korea, their second defeat in Group C.

In the game at the GSZ Stadium in Larnaca, Scotland were better side in the opening half-hour and led through a ninth-minute Lisa Evans goal.

But England improved towards half-time and, following Ellen White's 40th-minute equaliser, Toni Duggan shot them ahead in first-half stoppage-time.

Hope Powell's team were quickly on the back foot, however, as Scotland hit two goals in the opening eight minutes of the second period.

Striker Jane Ross levelled the scores in the 48th minute, and player-of-the-match Kim Little made it 3-2 five minutes later.

Once again England hit back, Rachel Williams cancelling out Scotland's lead in the 73rd minute and substitute Kelly Smith scoring four minutes later.

That looked likely to be the winner, but Scotland produced a grandstand finish for Little to set up Mitchell to earn a deserved point.

Kelly Smith
Kelly Smith put England 4-3 up with 13 minutes left

Scotland coach Anna Signeul said: "After starting so well and controlling the first half it was disappointing to go behind on a couple occasions.

"But the performance overall was good. Kim Little was fantastic, but I was pleased with the whole team - it was a very together performance."

Powell said: "We didn't manage ourselves very well. Scotland got off to a quicker start and it was always a fight after that. They were very tenacious.

"The second half was more settled than the first and after our last goal we should have seen the game out. That was disappointing - but what a crazy game!"

The result left England second to New Zealand in Group A, while Scotland are third and Italy bottom after two defeats.

Northern Ireland are at the foot of Group C following their defeat by South Korea.

Ji Soyun gave the South Koreans a first-half lead with a penalty, and late goals by Shin Seoyeon and Lee Euumi wrapped up victory.

Northern Ireland manager Alfie Wylie said: "The girls worked very had and played very well in periods of the game.

"Apart from the penalty our goalkeeper wasn't troubled in the first half, she didn't have a save to make.

"We started the second half well and had a few chances, but we weren't clinical enough and disappointingly we got caught in possession for the last two goals."