Rangers 1-1 Montrose

Highlights - Rangers 1-1 Montrose

Montrose struck late to claim a point and deny Third Division leaders Rangers victory at Ibrox.

Jonathan Crawford turned David Templeton's cross into his own net to put the hosts ahead at the end of the first half.

But David Gray's long-range strike levelled the match in the 89th minute.

Barry McKay's effort hit the post as Rangers chased an injury-time winner.

Rangers blew the chance to move 22 points clear at the top of the Third Division in the only match to survive the weather conditions in Scottish football's bottom tier.

Montrose looked lively early on and had a crack at goal when Boyle's cross found Scott Johnston unmarked but his effort was claimed by goalkeeper Neil Alexander.

At the other end, Francisco Sandaza's cut-back was collected by Shiels but his shot deflected wide of the near post and Rangers failed to capitalise on the resulting corner.

The Spaniard was the provider again, this time for Andy Little, but Gibson did well to smother at the feet of the Northern Irishman who took too long to unleash the shot.

Montrose still looked capable of causing problems and Leighton McIntosh was not too far away with a bullet header that fell across goal and wide.

There was concern for Rangers when Lewis Macleod went to ground following a challenge from Paul Watson, the youngster leaving the pitch on a stretcher to be replaced by Black on 29 minutes.

The breakthrough finally came on the stroke of half-time when Templeton unleashed a left-foot shot that appeared to be directed into the back of his own net by Crawford under pressure from Little.

Rangers could have doubled their advantage shortly after the break when Lee Wallace's free-kick was met by Little and he fired just over the crossbar.

Ibrox then fell silent after 54 minutes for a piper's lament in memory of the supporter who lost his life at the last home game.

There was another change for the hosts after an hour when Chris Hegarty, who appeared to be struggling, made way for the introduction of Sebastien Faure.

Shiels then saw an acrobatic effort blocked in the packed goalmouth as Rangers tried to add to their slender advantage.

It proved to be the Northern Irishman's last real contribution when he was swapped for Barrie McKay with 15 minutes to go.

Gibson came to the rescue for Montrose twice in quick succession, producing an excellent save to deny Sandaza, before punching a McKay effort to safety.

Black's free-kick then crashed off the post, before Garry Wood passed up a great chance for a late leveller when he blasted over.

The honours went to substitute Gray instead who stunned the majority of the 46,273 crowd with a 25-yard strike that found the back of the net via the underside of the crossbar with a minute to go.

Rangers: Alexander, Hegarty (Faure 60), Perry, Emilson Cribari, Wallace, Little, Macleod (Black 27), Hutton, Templeton, Sandaza, Shiels (McKay 73). Subs Not Used: Gallagher, Crawford.

Booked: Emilson Cribari.

Goals: Jonathan Crawford 45 og.

Montrose: Gibson, Masson, Jonathan Crawford, Campbell, Watson, Boyle, Winter, Richard McIntosh, Johnston (Morton 82), Garry Wood, Leighton McIntosh (David Gray 64). Subs Not Used: Sandy Wood, McLeish, Lunan.

Booked: Masson, Winter.

Goals: David Gray 89.

Att: 46,273

Ref: Craig Charleston

Top Stories