Rangers 2-0 Stirling Albion

Highlights - Rangers 2-0 Stirling Albion

David Templeton and Andy Little supplied the goals as Rangers avenged their only Scottish Third Division defeat so far this season with a win over Stirling Albion.

The Binos had claimed a shock win at Forthbank in October but were left empty-handed this time around.

The League leaders used the match at Ibrox to celebrate their 140th year with around 40 former players welcomed on to the pitch at half-time by pundit Andy Gray, including members of the 1972 European Cup Winners' Cup winning side.

Ally McCoist had stressed beforehand the importance of marking the occasion with three points and ensuring Rangers remain top of the table.

Templeton and Kyle Hutton both started, with Little on the bench and Ian Black missing through injury.

Sixteen-year old Tom Walsh was named as a substitute for the first time, while Lee Wallace made his 50th appearance for Rangers.

After Marc McCulloch went into the referee's book for a hard challenge on Templeton with seconds on the clock, Lewis Macleod forced a decent save from Mark Peat at his near post.

Templeton then lashed inches past the post from distance, before the winger was again the victim of a poor tackle which saw Daly McSorley cautioned on this occasion.

There was little respite for the visitors early on and Macleod's blistering strike was just off target and the goalkeeper was called into action again to block an angled drive from Barrie McKay.

The first real chance to break the deadlock came when Kevin Kyle knocked down into the path of the onrushing Macleod in front of goal, but he connected awkwardly and the effort bounced over the crossbar.

Albion duo Ross McGeachie and Jamie Bishop then collected yellow cards in quick succession - also for fouls on Templeton, who was making his first start since suffering ankle ligament damage in mid-September.

Kyle had netted in the last two outings but was denied by the woodwork just before the break when his shot smacked off the post as Stirling survived the onslaught to head into half-time on level terms.

Rangers still looked dangerous after the restart and the breakthrough finally came after 59 minutes.

McKay burst down the left wing and supplied a lovely ball across the face of goal where Templeton was waiting to lash home.

Kal Naismith almost added his name to the scoresheet when he raced on to a McKay pass but failed to net.

McSorley was sent packing for a second yellow with five minutes to go, before Gers youngster Walsh was handed his debut.

Little then put the gloss on the win when he slotted home into the bottom corner in the final minute.