Leicester 2-2 Middlesbrough

Jermaine Beckford earned Leicester a late point against Middlesbrough with his fourth goal in six games.

The Foxes seized the early initiative when David Nugent headed them in front, only for Scott McDonald's tap-in to level things up at the break.

Boro went 2-1 ahead when Tony McMahon lashed home a free-kick as the visitors sensed a possible victory.

Beckford had other ideas and he got the goal he deserved after a mix-up in the Middlesbrough defence.

On an eventful evening at the King Power Stadium, Leicester boss Nigel Pearson revealed that he was forced to watch the second half from the stands after being sent off following a row with referee Gavin Ward, whom he alleged entered the home dressing room during the interval.

Pearson was informed by the fourth official that he had been dismissed for comments to Ward.

"I don't know what really happened," said Pearson, who vowed to challenge any action that may follow from the Football Association. "I was talking to my players and giving them instructions for the second half when I was rudely interrupted.

"I didn't see who it was that barged into my dressing room but I told them to get out - and that may be a euphemism for what I actually said.

"When I am talking to my players in my space and someone tries to interrupt me and talk to me when they have not been invited to do so, that is rude.

"In future what I will do to avoid any repeat of the situation is lock the dressing room door.

"If the FA have to get involved then I will be appealing, there's no doubt about that. I can't wait to see what happens."

The point was enough to enable Boro to edge back into the play-off zone just ahead of Hull City.

Unchanged Leicester, with new signing Wes Morgan on the bench following his arrival from Nottingham Forest, went ahead early on when the ball was hooked into the box from the right and Nugent headed home at the far post from three yards out.

Boro equalised when McMahon's corner was flicked on at the front post by Seb Hines and McDonald applied the finish from a yard out.

Both sides made changes during the second half as they pursued a winner with Beckford always looking the most likely scorer.

McMahon thought he had sealed Boro's first league win since Boxing Day with a superbly taken free-kick 11 minutes from time - his first goal since last February.

That was until Boro gifted Leicester an equaliser when McMahon's weak back pass forced Jason Steele out of his goal to clear and his poor attempted clearance hit Beckford and bounced goalwards, enabling the Leicester striker to level with a simple tap-in.

Live text commentaryexternal-link

Top Stories