Administrators responsible for Blue Square Bet Premier side Darlington have said there will be no decision made on the future of the club until next week.
The statement said: "Talks are continuing to be held between the joint administrator and potential investors over the future of Darlington FC.
"No further statement will be issued until after the weekend."
Without further funding or a bid submitted from a suitable buyer the club is likely to fold.
Neighbours Middlesbrough are holding a bucket collection for the Quakers before Saturday's Championship clash with Burnley.
"It's a very sad time," said Boro boss Tony Mowbray. "Going back to the mid-1980s we had some pretty intense games against Darlington.
"You hope a knight in shining armour, a local businessman, will come along and help save the club. But obviously it's worrying times."
Saddled with debts, a giant stadium, and crowds circling around the 2,000-mark, Darlington have struggled since being placed in adminstration by former chairman Raj Singh earlier this month.
Singh - who has invested a sum of around £2m in the football club - withdrew his funding when the administration process began, leaving the staff running the business with a race against cashflow and time to seek new ownership.
Non-footballing staff have been released to cut costs, while money raised by supporters helped the club complete their footballing commitments against Barrow last weekend.
Some players such as Ian Miller and Sam Russell left the club having handed in their notice, while Liam Hatch and Jamie Chandler signed for Gateshead for a nominal fee.
In response Darlington FC Rescue Group are currently putting together a business plan for administrators, and have been given the extra time to prepare their offer.
Meanwhile the Football Conference say they need confirmation of whether the home game with Fleetwood on Saturday, 21 January will go ahead.