Watford 4-2 Bradford

Forsyth scores Waford's third goal at Vicarage Road

Craig Forsyth scored twice as Watford secured a convincing FA Cup third-round win over Bradford.

Troy Deeney's header gave Watford an early lead before James Hanson thumped in the equaliser, with Marvin Sordell's low finish making it 2-1.

Forsyth scored twice in three second-half minutes, firstly turning in Mark Yeates' mis-kick and then hitting home a stunning 25-yard drive.

Bradford scored late on when Nahki Wells converted Charlie Taylor's cross.

The visitors had the worst possible start when Sordell crossed from the left and Deeney nipped ahead of his marker to head home inside the opening three minutes.

But Bradford quickly drew level after Carl Dickinson's block from Ricky Ravenhill's shot fell for Hanson, who powered into the net from close range for his 10th of the season.

Jon McLaughlin was forced in to action in the City goal after 35 minutes when Sordell found Deeney in space but his strike was beaten away by the Scot.

That was a warning shot from the home side and, five minutes before the interval, Yeates picked out Sordell, who twisted and turned in the box before finding the bottom corner.

But the game was put beyond Bradford's reach with Forsyth's quick double.

The first was a simple task for the midfielder, who turned home Yeates' mis-kick from close range, before the 22-year-old capped a swift counter-attack with a superb 25-yard drive.

Bradford mounted some late pressure, which eventually paid off when Wells prodded in from Taylor's cross.

Bradford City manager Phil Parkinson: "We started slow and gave them a goal early, but we responded very well to that and it was a shame we came in at half time 2-1 down.

"It was a good test for us and we had a lot of good things in terms of the two strikers scoring for us which is important.

"It has been a lot of hard work in terms of changing that mentality around, that toughness within the squad. We'll have a little breather this week."

Top Stories