Women's Premier League: Leeds United top after beating Watford

By Tony Leighton Women's football correspondent
Barnet's Stacey Sowden scored against Aston Villa
Stacey Sowden (left) scored twice for Barnet in their win over Aston Villa

Carey Huegett was on target twice as Leeds United powered to a 3-0 victory at Watford to go top of the table.

Coventry City climbed to second place with a 1-0 win against Reading, Jade Formaston hitting the game's only goal.

Gemma Bryan scored two goals in a 3-0 victory at Nottingham Forest that lifted Charlton Athletic up to fourth.

Barnet's Stacey Sowden also bagged a brace, the Bees leapfrogging Aston Villa into fifth place with a 4-0 home win against Villa.

Watford 0-3 Leeds United

Huegett opened the scoring with a close-range finish after goalkeeper Lauren Davey had failed to hold Jess Holbrook's powerful ninth-minute shot.

And the striker hit a carbon copy second eight minutes into the second half after Leah Galton's shot had been blocked.

Clare Sykes completed the scoring four minutes from time, collecting Emma Johnson's pass to chip over Davey and into the net.

The scoreline was a little harsh on Watford, who matched the visitors for long spells, but they were unable to make a breakthrough and stayed bottom of the table.

Barnet 4-0 Aston Villa

Jess Trimnell headed the Bees in front from a fine cross by Cheryl Williams after just four minutes.

Williams then provided the 27th-minute through-ball which Sowden latched on to before sliding in her first goal.

Vicky Boardman grabbed the third goal in the 53rd minute, forcing the ball home after Sue Kumaning's shot had bounced back off the crossbar.

And Sowden wrapped up victory when she raced on to Alex Keown's long pass to score with a low show just inside the post.

Coventry City 1-0 Reading

Kerry Manley and Maz Gauntlett both went close before Formaston gave Coventry a 19th-minute lead with a stooping header.

The Sky Blues controlled much of the game but stayed in front only through goalkeeper Sue Wood's brave second-half save at the feet of Nicola Watts.

Nottingham Forest 0-3 Charlton Athletic

Bryan headed Charlton into a 15th-minute lead but then had a penalty saved by goalkeeper Claire Wallhead just after half-time.

Kim Dixson edged the visitors further in front with a six-yard shot in the 55th minute, however.

And 10 minutes later Bryan chased a long ball out of defence to go round Wallhead and slot home the clincher.