Celtic 0-0 Hibernian

By Clive LindsayBBC Scotland

Hibernian gained some kind of revenge for their midweek cup defeat by Celtic with a draw that leaves the Glasgow side 12 points adrift of Rangers.

The Scottish Premier League leaders had put pressure on their city rivals with a 2-1 win away to Aberdeen a couple of hours earlier.

Celtic's Gary Hooper squandered the best chance of the first half.

James Forrest sent a drive against the crossbar, but Hibs continued to be a threat after the break.

There was to be no second-half improvement this time and Celtic fall three points behind Motherwell although Neil Lennon's side do have a game in hand.

Celtic manager Neil Lennon
Celtic manager Neil Lennon was left frustrated against Hibs

Charlie Mulgrew had been restored to the heart of the Celtic defence, with Daniel Majstorovic being the man to drop out as Thomas Rogne held on to his place after the midweek Scottish Communities League Cup demolition of Hibs.

Goalkeeper Graham Stack, Sean O'Hanlon, Danny Galbraith and Lewis Stevenson came in for Mark Brown, Ian Murray, Victor Palsson and Ivan Sproule as Hibs boss Colin Calderwood rang the changes after that 4-1 defeat in Edinburgh.

As in the first half at Easter Road, Hibs were a match for the Glasgow side and home goalkeeper Fraser Forster had to race outside his box to head clear and thwart striker Leigh Griffiths.

Moments later, Celtic striker Anthony Stokes had a drive from the edge of the box saved by Stack at the second attempt.

The home support was becoming restless as Gary Hooper made a mess of an attempt to turn a Stokes cross towards goal.

Stokes was the biggest threat and, after driving into the box, sent a low drive towards the near post that Stack did well to scoop clear with his trailing foot.

Hooper squandered another chance set up by Stokes when, after a neat one-two at the edge of the box, the Englishman fired against the outside of the post after being one-on-one with the goalkeeper.

Forrest, who scored twice at Easter Road, sent a low drive towards the inside of the far post only for Stack to beat it away, with no Celtic player available to pounce on the loose ball.

Celtic had swept to victory in midweek after Lennon's half-time team talk inspired his side to come from a goal behind, but it was Hibs who started the second half by creating the first chances.

Griffiths tried an impetuous chip shot following a free kick and Galbraith had a 20-yard drive deflected into the air and over, leaving disorientated goalkeeper Forster flying into his own net.

Celtic were being restricted to long-range efforts, but Forrest went close with a drive off the top of the crossbar from 20 yards.

Play was sweeping from end to end without much end product, or clear-cut chances being created.

Hibs striker Garry O'Connor had to do it all by himself following a swift break and, after twisting and turning into the Celtic box, fired over the crossbar despite the attentions of three defenders.

Substitute Sproule stepped inside before sweeping a shot wide of the far post from 20 yards, while Stokes had an effort from a similar range as neither side seriously threatened to break the deadlock in the closing moments.

Live text commentaryexternal-link