Glenavon beat Linfield on penalties in League Cup

Glenavon defender Mark Turkington challenges Linfield forward Mark McAllister at Windsor Park
Glenavon defender Mark Turkington challenges Linfield forward Mark McAllister at Windsor Park

The Premiership's bottom club Glenavon beat leaders Linfield 6-5 on penalties in the third round of the League Cup on Wednesday night.

After a 0-0 draw, Glenavon keeper Andy Coleman saved three spot-kicks in the shoot-out.

Last season his two saves helped Newry knock Linfield out on penalties.

Coleman saved Linfield's first two efforts from Rory Patterson and Robert Garrett, and also the last one taken by Damien Curran.

Jim Ervin, Michael Carvill, Daryl Fordyce, Mark McAllister and Stephen Douglas netted for the Blues.

Linfield keeper Alan Blayney saved from Diarmuid O'Carroll and Ryan Harpur.

Jay Magee, Brendan Shannon, Conor Hagan, Niall Henderson and Chris Lavery scored for Glenavon before Mark Turkington netted the match-winning spot-kick.

At Newry Showgrounds, Premiership side Coleraine eased through 3-0 against the Championship One leaders.

Defender Howard Beverland headed in his first goal for the Bannsiders in the 19th minute.

Newry were reduced to 10 men in the 39th minute when debutant Brian Mallon got a second yellow card after kicking the ball away.

Gareth Tommons made it 2-0 early in the second half, running on to Stephen Lowry's through ball and Leon Knight side-footed in a late third from a Shane Jennings pass.

At New Grosvenor, Jordan Owens scored a hat-trick as Crusaders beat holders Lisburn Distillery 4-2.

Owens put the Crues into an early lead after keeper Billy Brennan had failed to hold a Stuart Dallas free-kick.

Distillery fought back and equalised on 22 minutes when Jordan Forsythe blasted into the roof of the net after a free-kick into the box was not cleared.

The Whites then had Grant Gardiner sent-off when a tackle on Aiden Watson brought him a second yellow card.

Mark Cooling put Distillery in front with a 52nd-minute penalty but Owens stole in at the back post to level five minutes later.

Owens then diverted Chris Morrow's shot in for 3-2 and, with Distillery pressing, Dallas broke away for the fourth.