QPR 1-1 Aston Villa

By Alistair MagowanBBC Sport
Aston Villa's Barry Bannan
Bannan scores his first goal of the season to give Villa the lead

Richard Dunne's injury-time own goal gave Queens Park Rangers a late point against Aston Villa.

The hosts dominated the first half and Adel Taarabt hit the post while Villa's Barry Bannan had a free-kick saved.

Bannan then stepped up to give the visitors the lead from the spot on 58 minutes after Armand Traore's foul on Gabriel Agbonlahor.

But just as it got worse for QPR when Traore was sent off, Dunne was unlucky to turn in Stephen Warnock's clearance.

The Irishman could not do much to avoid the ricochet off his team-mate as Luke Young tried to get on the end of Heidar Helguson's cross.

But he will at least take solace that Villa maintained their unbeaten start to their Premier League season during a game where for large periods they were under pressure - particularly at the beginning and end of the match.

Traore a disgrace - Warnock

Rangers can point to two penalty appeals when Alan Hutton appeared to handball from Shaun Derry's header and, later, Tommy Smith's cross, both of which were waved away by referee Michael Oliver.

And once QPR boss Neil Warnock has congratulated his players for earning a late draw, he will still be concerned that it was Dunne who scored his team's first goal at Loftus Road this season.

Much like the goalless draw against Newcastle in their last home game, Rangers were full of enterprising play, despite the number of new recruits, but they failed to turn their superiority into goals.

Jay Bothroyd was guilty on a couple of occasions as he failed to direct Joey Barton's free-kick on target early on, while the former Newcastle United midfielder also went close from a right-wing cross.

Taarabt's curling effort was the pick of the bunch in a first half where QPR swarmed all over their visitors and showed how to make a five-man midfield function.

Villa were without the injured Darren Bent and they could not get their midfield trio of Fabian Delph, Stephen Ireland and Stiliyan Petrov close to Agbonlahor.

But for all their dominance, Rangers were thankful to goalkeeper Paddy Kenny, who made an outstanding save to deny Bannan's free-kick just before half-time.

That began a far more positive period for Villa, who looked a completely different team as the second half began and Delph went close before the opening goal arrived.

Alex McLeish says Aston Villa were 'poor' in first half

There was a tinge of controversy to the penalty as many missed Traore's tug on Agbonlahor's shirt as the Villa forward tried to get on the end of Warnock's cross.

Twenty-six year-old official Oliver had no doubt, however, booking Traore in the process, and Bannan tucked into the corner from 12 yards.

The temperature increased in Loftus Road as the home supporters grew frustrated by their team's inability to score.

And it looked as though they would suffer their second home defeat as Shay Given stopped Shaun Wright-Phillips' effort and then Hutton blocked Derry's header, with suggestions of handball.

Hutton was again fortunate when the ball hit his hand from Smith's cross.

But just after Traore was booked for a second time following a tackle on Marc Albrighton, Dunne provided an unlikely lifeline to give Rangers fans a late cheer on a balmy afternoon in west London.

Live text commentaryexternal-link

Top Stories