Rangers seek quick decision from Carlos Cuellar

Carlos Cuellar
Villa's Cuellar is still pondering a return to Rangers

Rangers manager Ally McCoist hopes to sign Aston Villa defender Carlos Cuellar before Saturday.

The clubs have agreed a fee for the 29-year-old Spaniard, who left Ibrox for Villa Park three years ago.

"The ball is in Carlos's court. We hope to hear from him sooner or later," said McCoist after Tuesday's 2-0 friendly win at Blackpool.

"Carlos's representatives know it would suit us to hear quickly and I would like an answer in the next 24 hours."

Cuellar, who has just one year left on his Villa contract, has also been linked with clubs in his homeland.

"We're examining what's best for Carlos. He likes the idea of returning," said his agent, Pedro Bravo, on Sunday.

With Rangers beginning their title defence against Hearts on Saturday, McCoist is keen on a quick deal.

McCoist is also considering bringing striker Kenny Miller back to Rangers from Turkish side Bursaspor but he has ended his interest in signing Raul Rodriguez.

"I don't know what the situation with Kenny is," said McCoist.

"I know he wants to come home and I would hazard a guess that Bursaspor may not be the easiest to deal with.

"There is nothing to my knowledge at this moment in time. Kenny is obviously a player we know well but there is nothing in the immediate future regarding Kenny."

Steven Davis, fresh from signing a new five-year contract earlier in the day, scored both goals as Rangers eased to victory at Bloomfield Road.

"Steven always said he wanted to stay at the club," said McCoist. "It was just a matter of thrashing out a deal with his representatives and thankfully that was done.

"I was delighted. I said we were hopeful we would get that one over the line and that is the case."