FA Vase final: Coalville Town 2-3 Whitley Bay

Paul Chow celebrates scoring Whitley Bay's first goal
Paul Chow celebrates scoring Whitley Bay's first goal

Whitley Bay won the FA Vase for the third successive season with a narrow victory over Coalville Town.

The Bay took the lead when Paul Chow converted after Craig McFarlane's neat run and cutback.

Matt Moore levelled with a powerful header from Cameron Stuart's centre before Lee Kerr flicked the Bay back in front from Paul Robinson's cross.

Adam Goodby nodded in from Anthony Carney's ball to level once more only for Chow to poke home a late winner.

The victory means that Whitley Bay become the first team to win the Vase three years running.

Additionally, their two goalscorers Chow and Kerr have both scored in all three of the Seahorses' wins.

The result was cruel on Coalville, who dominated large passages of the game.

After being under pressure in the early stages, Whitley Bay came into the game with first Robinson seeing a shot blocked and Chow almost being played in by Coalville defender Stuart.

Minutes later the holders took the lead.

Kerr's pass was expertly controlled by Craig McFarlane, who tricked his way past his defender before squaring a fine pass for Chow to convert from close range.

The Ravens responded well to going behind and thought they had levelled when Jerome Murdock nodded in, but the assistant's flag quickly curtailed the celebrations.

Moore then went desperately close for Coalville, his curled effort rebounding off the post and into the grateful arms of Seahorses keeper Terry Burke.

Burke, playing his last game for the Bay, saved well from Ryan Robbins' low effort but, the team from Leicestershire soon got the goal their play deserved when Stuart's deep cross was powerfully headed home by Moore.

Parity lasted just a matter of minutes as the Seahorses restored their lead when Robinson did well on the edge of the area before sending over a delightful near-post cross that was headed home by Kerr.

Carney's cross was headed against the crossbar by the unlucky Moore as a shell-shocked Coalville looked for an immediate response.

Murdock twice forced super saves from Burke before the Ravens pulled level again through Goodby's header from Carney's cross.

With time running out the Bay grabbed the winner when Kerr's free-kick came back off the crossbar and Chow was on hand to make history.

Coalville Town: Bowles, Brown, Stewart, Goodby, Costello, Woodward, Miveld, Moore, Murdock, Anthony Carney, Robbins.Subs Not Used: Williams, Wells, Attwood, Gardner, Dodd.

Goals: Moore 58, Goodby 80.

Whitley Bay: Burke, McFarlane, Callum Anderson, Timmons, Williams, Robson, Kerr, Chow, Robinson, Pounder, Ormston.Subs Not Used: Coulson, Smith, Rowe, Gibson, Hayes.

Goals: Chow 28, Kerr 61, Chow 86.

Attendance: 8,778

Referee: Scott Mathieson (Cheshire).