Birmingham beat Lincoln to extend lead at top of WSL

By Tony Leighton Women's football correspondent
Kerys Harrop
Harrop sealed Birmingham's win with her first goal in the WSL

Birmingham City moved three points clear at the top of the Women's Super League with a 1-0 win against Lincoln.

Chelsea came from behind to claim their first win of the season, a 4-1 success at Doncaster Belles leapfrogging them over their opponents into third place.

In the Premier League, Watford sealed their survival with a 1-1 draw against second-in-the-table Nottingham Forest.

Sahara Osborne-Ricketts hit a stoppage-time equaliser after Andi Bell had put Forest ahead in the first half.

Women's Super League

Birmingham City 1-0 Lincoln

Left-back Kerys Harrop notched her first WSL goal 18 minutes from time to maintain Birmingham's 100% start to the campaign.

The home side had most of the possession and deserved their goal, headed home by Harrop from midfielder Jo Potter's corner.

But Lincoln should have equalised in the dying moments, striker Carla Cantrell blazing a golden opportunity over the bar from six yards.

A crowd of 446 saw Blues set themselves up nicely for Thursday's visit to second in the table Arsenal, who also have a 100% record but have played a game fewer.

Doncaster Rovers Belles 1-4 Chelsea

Doncaster's first home game of the WSL era attracted an attendance of 578 to the Keepmoat Stadium but the Belles' fans went home disappointed.

The game started well enough for Donny, midfielder Vicky Exley putting them ahead with her second goal of the campaign in the 24th minute.

But the visitors drew level through midfielder Dani Buet five minutes before half-time, then three minutes after the break winger Dannii Bird shot them in front.

An Ashlee Hincks goal on the hour put Blues in sight of a victory that was assured when striker Emma Plewa completed the scoring four minutes from time.

Watford 1-1 Nottingham Forest

Osborne-Ricketts was Watford's unlikely relegation-defying hero in a nail-biting finish to their season.

The Hornets had to come from behind after Forest striker Bell had opened the scoring three minutes before half-time.

The home side fought back in the second period but the game looked lost until Osborne-Ricketts poached her first goal of the season two minutes into stoppage time.

Watford's survival means that either Barnet or Blackburn Rovers, who meet in the Premier League's last game of the campaign next week, will be relegated.

Top Stories