Lisburn Distillery 2-1 Portadown

By Richard PetrieBBC Sport NI

Lisburn Distillery came from a goal behind to beat Portadown in an entertaining Co-operative Cup final.

The Ports controlled the first half and Matthew Tipton scored the opener with a sensational left-foot strike three minutes before the interval.

Substitute Scott Davidson equalised with an equally impressive goal six minutes after the break.

Whites winger David Cushley netted the winner with a fine left-foot effort one minute from time.

The first chance of the match fell to Portadown but Tipton saw his left-foot shot comfortably saved by Billy Brennan.

The Ports continued to dominate and Glenn Ferguson's attempted clearance header from a corner came off the back of Tim Mouncey's head and off the crossbar.

Kevin Braniff threaded a fine through ball for Jordan Baker but Brennan was out of his goal quickly to deny the Ports striker.

Mark Cooling shot over the bar from 25 yards and then Mouncey fired wide for the Ports.

Brennan did well to save Shane McCabe's diving header in the 34th minute and the Whites then broke quickly, David Miskelly pushing Gary Liggett's effort over the bar as the game came to life.

Tipton broke the deadlock with a stunning left-foot strike three minutes before half-time.

Cup final action
Glenn Ferguson and Shane McCabe in action at Mourneview Park

A Baker cross was cleared by Distillery but Tipton picked up the loose ball, turned and dispatched a wonderful strike into the top corner for his 10th goal since signing for the Ports in January.

Substitute Davidson levelled six minutes after the break.

Glenn Ferguson teed up Davidson who unleashed a thunderous right-foot shot which rocketed past Miskelly into the back of the net.

Baker fired over the bar after going on a mazy run and Tipton skewed a right-foot effort wide with the goal at his mercy as the Ports attempted to regain the ascendancy.

Cushley beat a couple of defenders and crossed from the left but there were no Distillery players on hand to get the finishing touch in the penalty area.

Davidson almost grabbed his second but his 20-yard effort was saved by Miskelly and the Ports stopper recovered to palm away Liggett's shot from the rebound.

Mouncey drilled a shot wide and substitute Richard Lecky's glancing header was just off-target.

Cushley, a half-time substitute, scored the winning goal one minute from time with a fine individual effort.

The winger picked up possession on the halfway line, went on a driving run and delivered a low left-foot strike under the body of Miskelly.

Lisburn Distillery: Brennan, Callaghan, Hunter, Simpson, McShane (capt), Kilmartin, Thompson, Cooling, Browne, Ferguson, Liggett.

Subs: Matthews, Patton, Cushley, Davidson, Devlin

Portadown: Miskelly, O'Hara, Redman, Breen, Gartland, Clarke, Mouncey, McCabe, Braniff, Tipton, Baker.

Subs: Mackle, Lecky, Armstrong, Boyle, Craig

Referee: Mark Courtney

Top Stories