Tour of Britain: Mathieu van der Poel wins stage four
Dutch rider Mathieu van der Poel won the fourth stage of the Tour of Britain from Gateshead to Kendal to take the overall lead.
Van der Poel launched an explosive uphill sprint to power clear, winning by three seconds from a group of four riders, including Britain's Ben Swift.
Italy's Matteo Trentin had started the day with a seven-second lead at the top of the general classification.
But he now trails Van der Poel by one second with four stages to go.
"Attacking early was a bit of a gamble because I didn't really know where the finish line was," said Van der Poel.
"I got a bit boxed in on Monday at the finish and I didn't want it to happen again, so I just went full gas with 300 metres to go.
"It was actually a bit far but I immediately had a gap. With 100 metres to go the road got a bit easier so it was big enough to keep that gap until the finish line."
Tour of Britain stage four result:
1. Mathieu van der Poel (Ned/Corendon-Circus) 4hrs 23mins 8secs
2. Jasper de Buyst (Bel/Lotto-Soudal) + 3secs
3. Simon Clarke (Aus/EF Education First) + 3secs
4. Ben Swift (GB/Team Ineos) + 3secs
5. Amund Grondahl Jansen (Nor/Jumbo-Visma) + 3secs
1. Mathieu van der Poel (Ned/Corendon-Circus) 17hrs 36mins 27secs
2. Matteo Trentin (Ita/Mitchelton-Scott) + 1sec
3. Jasper de Buyst (Bel/Lotto-Soudal) + 7secs
4. Simon Clarke (Aus/EF Education First) + 14secs
5. Mike Teunissen (Ned/Jumbo-Visma) + 15secs
6. Ben Swift (GB/Team Ineos) + 19secs