Giro d'Italia 2017: Caleb Ewan wins stage with sprint finish
Caleb Ewan narrowly held off the challenge of Fernando Gaviria to win stage seven of the Giro d'Italia, as Geraint Thomas stayed six seconds behind overall race leader Bob Jungels.
Gaviria, who has already won two stages at this year's event, was closely followed by Ireland's Sam Bennett.
It is a first Giro stage win for 22-year-old Australian Ewan.
Thomas retained second behind Jungels after the 224km ride to Alberobello - with fellow Briton Adam Yates third.
Orica-Scott rider Yates is 10 seconds behind Quick-Step's Jungels, on the same time as favourites Nairo Quintana and Vincenzo Nibali, who also finished safely in the main bunch on Friday.
Saturday's stage is a 189km route from Molfetta to Peschici that features a category-two climb about halfway through.
Stage seven result
1. Caleb Ewan (Aus/Orica) 5hrs 35mins 18secs
2. Fernando Gaviria (Col/Quick-Step) Same time
3. Sam Bennett (Ire/BORA)
4. Andre Greipel (Ger/Lotto)
5. Jasper Stuyven (Bel/ Trek)
6. Ryan Gibbons (SA/Dimension Data)
7. Enrico Battaglin (Ita/LottoNL)
8. Ruediger Selig (Ger/BORA)
9. Alexey Tsatevich (Rus/Gazprom)
10. Vincenzo Nibali (Ita/ Bahrain)
Overall classification after stage seven
1. Bob Jungels (Lux/Quick-Step) 33hrs 56mins 07secs
2. Geraint Thomas (GB/Team Sky) +6secs
3. Adam Yates (GB/Orica) +10secs
4. Vincenzo Nibali (Ita/Bahrain) Same time
5. Domenico Pozzovivo (Ita/AG2R)
6. Tom Dumoulin (Ned/Sunweb)
7. Nairo Quintana (Col/Movistar)
8. Bauke Mollema (Ned/Trek)
9. Andrey Amador (Crc/ Movistar)
10. Tejay van Garderen (US/BMC)