Italian Davide Formolo was rewarded for going it alone with victory on stage four of the Giro d'Italia.
The 22-year-old Cannondale-Garmin rider launched a solo attack from an early breakaway shortly before the foot of the final climb.
He finished 22 seconds ahead of Orica GreenEdge's Simon Clarke for the first professional win of his career.
However, Australian Clarke succeeds team-mate Michael Matthews, the stage three winner, as overall race leader.
Their Colombian team-mate Esteban Chaves is now second, 10 seconds behind Clarke.
Tinkoff-Saxo's Alberto Contador, the 2008 champion, is fourth in the general classification and heads home favourite Fabio Aru (Astana) by six seconds, with Team Sky's Australian rider Richie Porte 20 seconds behind the Spaniard.
Meanwhile, AG2R-La Mondiale rider Domenico Pozzovivo has been transferred to Genoa Hospital following his crash on stage three and the Italian is hoping to return for next month's Tour of Switzerland, which starts on 13 June.
"Domenico is suffering from a cranial-facial trauma but the scan revealed no intra-cranial lesion," said doctor Eric Bouvat. "He has deep wounds above his right eye and had to have stitches. He is conscious and lucid but has no memory of the crash."
Pozzovivo himself said: "I slept well. I'm going back home with my parents today. I'll rest for a few days but I don't want to stop training.
"I worked hard for the Giro and I hope I will benefit from my form in the coming weeks. It will certainly be hard to watch the race on TV. I planned to participate in the Tour of Switzerland and I hope I will be able to."
|BBC Sport's Matt Slater in Italy|
|Flat-out racing from the gun, almost every gambit in the big book of cycling tactics, stunning weather, beautiful scenery, a solo win for a new Italian star and a third different Australian race leader in three days - I think it would be fair to say that it was a decent day at the Giro.|
Stage five result:
1. Davide Formolo (Ita/Cannondale) 3hrs 47mins 59secs
2. Simon Clarke (Aus/ Orica) +22secs
3. Yonathan Monsalve (Ven/Southeast) Same time
4. Giovanni Visconti (Ita/Movistar)
5. Esteban Chaves (Col/Orica)
6. Fabio Aru (Ita/Astana)
7. Amael Moinard (Fra/BMC Racing)
8. Dario Cataldo (Ita/Astana)
9. Alberto Contador (Spa/Tinkoff - Saxo)
10. Richie Porte (Aus/Team Sky)
General classification after stage five:
1. Simon Clarke (Aus/Orica) 11hrs 54mins 48secs
2. Esteban Chaves (Col/Orica) +10secs
3. Roman Kreuziger (Cze/Tinkoff - Saxo) +17secs
4. Alberto Contador (Spa/Tinkoff - Saxo) Same time
5. Fabio Aru (Ita/Astana) +23secs
6. Dario Cataldo (Ita/Astana) Same time
7. Giovanni Visconti (Ita/Movistar) +29secs
8. Amael Moinard (Fra/BMC Racing) +31secs
9. Davide Formolo (Ita/Cannondale) Same time
10. Richie Porte (Aus/Team Sky) +37secs