Rod Marsh: Former Australia wicketkeeper quits chairman of selectors role
Former Australia wicketkeeper Rod Marsh has stood down as his country's chairman of selectors.
Marsh, 69, left the position a day after Australia's innings defeat by South Africa in Hobart.
Australia have lost their last five Tests, which captain Steve Smith described as "humiliating".
"It is time for some fresh thinking, just as it is for our Test team to welcome some new faces as we build for the future," Marsh said.
Marsh took over the role in 2014, after previously having a spell as an England selector in the early 2000s when he was in charge of the England academy.
He oversaw Australia's 2015 World Cup victory but his tenure also saw them lose the 2015 Ashes in England, as well as away defeats by Pakistan and Sri Lanka.
"This is my own decision and no one within Cricket Australia has pressured me or even suggested that I should do this," added Marsh.
"I have always had the best interests of Australian cricket foremost in my heart, and that's why I have made this decision."
Australia's cricketers have been heavily criticised following their series defeat to South Africa, with the Sydney Daily Telegraph describing the team as "a bunch of amateurs".
Coach Darren Lehmann said that only four players were assured of their place for the third Test against South Africa, which begins on 24 November.
Former England captain Michael Vaughan described the current Australian team as "average" after a batting collapse saw them lose eight wickets for 32 runs.
"Their batting looks woeful. They are using too many players and they have to get consistent," he said on BBC Radio 5 live's Tuffers and Vaughan Cricket Show.
The Cricket Australia board will hold a meeting on Wednesday to make an interim appointment to replace Marsh.