Ed Joyce: Ireland batsman 'undecided' on Sussex future

Ed Joyce
Ed Joyce scored three centuries in 12 Championship appearances for Sussex in 2016

Sussex head coach Mark Davis says out-of-contract Ireland batsman Ed Joyce is "undecided" on his future at Hove.

The 38-year-old, who scored 1,026 Championship runs at an average of 64.12 for the side last season, had surgery on his injured knee last week.

"I'm sure in the next couple of weeks, or possibly a month or so, we will know what the form is there," Davis told BBC Sussex.

"He has moved home to Dublin and hasn't quite made that decision yet."

Dublin-born left-hander Joyce joined Sussex from Middlesex in 2009 and captained the side from July 2012 until the end of the 2015 season.

Meanwhile, Davis says he is keen to recruit more all-rounders to help their challenge in all three formats in 2017.

The Division Two club announced the signing of South Africa international Stiaan van Zyl on Wednesday.

"Robin Martin-Jenkins left us a number of years ago and a replacement for him is key as it allows you balance the team," Davis said.

"It's not straightforward but the signing of Stiaan helps with that.

"A batsman who could improve our batting in white-ball cricket is important as well."