The Hurricane Tapes: Rubin Carter, John Artis and a triple murder
Rubin Carter was a middleweight boxer and a convicted triple murderer.
He and John Artis, a teenage track star, spent almost 20 years in prison maintaining they were innocent before they were released.
BBC World Service spent more than a year investigating the case of the Lafayette Bar and Grill murders for their podcast series, The Hurricane Tapes.
Each week, BBC Sport will publish an article to coincide with each episode to tell the story of 'Hurricane' - there are 13 in total.
- Episode one and two: 'This is the story of the Hurricane'
- Episode three: 'Cops don't like to have their backs to the door'
- Episode four: 'What are y'all? Bounty hunters?'
- Episode five: Meeting 'Chipmunk' and Carter's glass eye
- Episode six: Ali, Frazier & Dylan unite for Carter
- Episode seven: New Jersey v Carter & Artis - round two
- Episode eight: The Canadian commune & Carter's route to freedom
- Episode nine: Judge Sarokin, Carter - and a massive fish
- Episode 10: New characters, new theories, new conspiracies
- Episode 11: The karate champion turned murder investigator
- Episode 12: Stinkin' New Jersey
- Listen: The Hurricane Tapes
The tapes had been missing for nearly 10 years since author Ken Klonsky recorded a series of conversations with Carter for his book Eye Of The Hurricane: My Path From Darkness To Freedom. The audio contained in the tapes has not previously been heard by anyone other than Klonsky and Carter.