Ricky Burns' focus is on beating Nicky Cook
Ricky Burns will be happy to beat Nicky Cook "by any means necessary" but is confident he can produce a crowd-pleasing performance in doing so.
Burns, who takes on Cook at Liverpool's Echo Arena on Saturday, has been taken the distance in his previous two WBO super-featherweight title defences.
"When you look for a knockout, it never happens," said Scotland's Burns.
"So my attitude is that I just want to get in there and win by any means necessary."
The 28-year-old from Coatbridge took the title from Roman Martinez in September and his primary focus is on retaining the belt.
"Whether you look good or you look bad, so long as you come out and you've got that belt coming home with you in the car, that is the main thing," said Burns.
Burns remains conscious of what an attention-grabbing display could do for his career and the need to give watching fans their money's worth.
"It is important, but I try not to look at it that way," Burns said.
"I knew when they said I was boxing in Liverpool that it was to try to raise my profile down south.
"Everybody in Scotland knows who I am, but I am maybe not as well known in England.
"This is a chance for me now to get my name out there, but sometimes when you look about like that, you are putting pressure on yourself to go out there and look good and sometimes it doesn't happen.
"If I go out there and just do what I have been doing in the gym, people are in for a good night's boxing."
It was reported earlier this week that Burns' manager Alex Morrison had made an official protest against the appointment of Englishman Terry O'Connor as one of the judges for Saturday's bout.
Morrison has been unhappy with O'Connor's decision-making in past fights, but Burns is not letting the matter trouble him.
"We got told the other day that it is three English judges and an English referee as well, but it is up to me to take it out of the referee's hands," Burns said.
"I think it will be a fair fight - a tough fight, but I do see myself wearing Nicky down in the later rounds."
Cook - who did not attend Thursday's head-to-head press conference in Liverpool - will be fighting for only the second time since losing the WBO belt to Martinez in March 2009.
The 31-year-old from Essex then moved to Tenerife and did not take part in another professional contest until securing a six-round points victory over Youssef Al Hamidi in London on 21 May.