Follow breaking sports news every weekday with Sportsday.
For a list of confirmed transfers, check out the transfers page.
Porto's Colombia international striker Jackson Martinez, 27, is said to be on the verge of completing a transfer to Chelsea. His agent has reportedly travelled to London to discuss the terms of a deal that will cost the Blues around £33m.
Chelsea are also thought to be favourites to sign Croatia midfielder Ivan Rakitic, 25, who prefers the Stamford Bridge club to Manchester United and Liverpool, if he chooses to leave Sevilla instead of signing a new contract.
Tottenham technical director Fabio Baldini was at Tuesday's Basel-Chelsea match amid reports Spurs are planning a January move for the Swiss club's £20m-rated Egypt international striker Mohamed Salah, 21.
West Ham and Newcastle are vying to sign former Blackburn and QPR defender Christopher Samba, 29, from Dynamo Moscow, with the Congo international wanting to return to England to be with his family.
Arsenal are interested in Basel right-back Fabian Schar, 21, who was an intern with a Swiss bank a couple of years ago.
Manchester United are monitoring Porto's Brazilian international left-back Alex Sandro, 22, as they continue their search for a replacement for Patrice Evra, who is expected to leave Old Trafford at the end of the season.
Another defender being assessed by the current Premier League champions is Sevilla left-back Alberto Moreno, 21, who is also being courted by Real Madrid and Chelsea and has a buy-out clause of £25m.
Meanwhile, United are in contact with the Brazilian FA over a deal to sign Cruzeiro's 24-year-old forward Everton Ribeiro, who is is only 60% owned by the club, with the other 40% owned by a third party.
And another David Moyes target, Athletic Bilbao midfielder Ander Herrera, 24, says the Spanish club is "the perfect place" for him.
Fulham are confident of keeping 17-year-old French forward Moussa Dembele, despite interest from Manchester United and Liverpool.
Liverpool striker Fabio Borini, 22, currently on loan at Sunderland, could return to Italy in another loan move.
Real Betis winger Alvaro Vadillo, 19, would be interested in joining Arsenal, according to his agent.
Wigan will complete the loan signing of Manchester United striker Will Keane, 20, in the next 24 hours but have been thwarted in their efforts to extend Marc Albrighton's loan from Aston Villa.
Liverpool are to renew their interest in Chelsea defender Ryan Bertrand, 24, after left-back Jose Enrique was ruled out with a knee injury until February.
Former Roma coach Luis Enrique is being considered by Tottenham if they decide to sack Andre Villas-Boas.
Stoke chairman Peter Coates wants goalkeeper Asmir Begovic, 26, who has been linked with a £15m move to Manchester City in January, to remain at the club until the end of the season at least.
Aston Villa boss Paul Lambert will wait until Charles N'Zogbia, 27, returns to full fitness before making a decision on the French midfielder's future.
Striker Shane Long, 26, has reiterated his desire to stay with West Bromwich Albion - even though the 'option' in his contract has yet to be discussed.
Yohan Cabaye, 27, has admitted he misses playing in Europe, but insists it will not stop him giving everything for Newcastle this season.
Chelsea defender Cesar Azpilicueta, 24, says his team should be "embarrassed" by their defeat to Basel, and warns their inconsistency could cost them trophies.
Sunderland manager Gus Poyet says defender Andrea Dossena, 32, and midfielder Lee Cattermole, 25, will not be allowed to make mistakes similar to their red cards against Hull again.
On-loan Liverpool winger Victor Moses, 22, insists the club will only see his best if he plays games consistently, having been on the bench in the past three games.
Mathieu Flamini, who upset some Arsenal fans by cutting off the sleeves of his shirt in Tuesday's Champions League match against Marseille, thus going against a long-standing tradition that players should wear the same style of shirt as their captain, has vowed not to repeat the move.
Liverpool manager Brendan Rodgers has revealed he is a secret fan of Coronation Street, after visiting the programme's set this week.