Thursday's gossip column - transfers and rumours
Brazilian attacking midfielder Willian is determined to move to the Premier League, though Shakhtar Donetsk's 25-year-old has a transfer release clause of £25m. However, he may take a pay cut to ensure a move to Chelsea or Tottenham.
Real Madrid have emerged as favourites to sign Roma's Italian international midfielder Daniele de Rossi, 29, a long-term target for Manchester City.
Tottenham may miss out on top target Joao Moutinho after the 26-year-old Porto midfield playmaker indicated a preference for a January move to Paris Saint-Germain.
Dutch side PSV Eindhoven want to keep hold of promising defender Riechedly Bazoer, who has just turned 16. However, the teenager is already attracting attention from Premier League sides including Manchester City, Arsenal and Newcastle.
Meanwhile, PSV midfielder Kevin Strootman, 22, says he will not make a move to Manchester United in January but manager Sir Alex Ferguson should make contact again in the summer.
Liverpool are monitoring young Anderlecht midfielder Dennis Praet. The 18-year-old Belgian scored his first senior goal against Ekranas in a Champions League qualifier, and the Reds are preparing a £4m offer.
Tottenham striker Emmanuel Adebayor will not be allowed to leave in January, says manager Andre Villas-Boas, despite the 28-year-old not having started a game this campaign.
Stoke manager Tony Pulis is hoping to sign to Southampton striker Rickie Lambert, 30, in the January transfer window in a deal that would see Kenwyne Jones moving to the south coast club.
Manchester United's Rio Ferdinand will offer to shake the hands of both Chelsea captain John Terry and left-back Ashley Cole when the sides meet on Sunday. Rio and his brother Anton have called on the FA and PFA to heal the "deep divisions" in English football on racism.
Former Aston Villa and Norwich striker Dion Dublin does not believe racism will ever be eradicated from football.
American striker Landon Donovan, 30, has admitted he may turn down the option of a third loan spell at Everton in favour of going travelling across the globe, or even quitting the sport altogether.
Fifa has told goal-line technology companies Hawk-Eye and GoalRef to take out insurance in case clubs or leagues take legal action claiming the systems are not working properly.
Steve Coppell, manager of Crystal Palace on four previous occasions, is the favourite to take over from Dougie Freedman, who left Selhurst Park earlier in the week.
Full story: the Times (subscription required)
Ipswich chief executive Simon Clegg has revealed he and club owner Marcus Evans began to look at possible successors to Paul Jewell, who left the club on Wednesday, some weeks ago.
Former Charlton and West Ham manager Alan Curbishley has been targeted by Ipswich to succeed Jewell at Portman Road. Curbishley is thought to have recently turned down a chance to take over at Bolton following the sacking of Owen Coyle.
Uefa president Michel Platini has warned Serbia they could face tough sanctions for racist abuse recently aimed at England's Under-21 players.
Newcastle manager Alan Pardew has admitted he might be losing patience with midfielder Cheick Tiote after the 26-year-old's sending off against Sunderland.
Arsenal lost to Schalke on Wednesday, but manager Arsene Wenger has already implemented a plan to make his side more combative - the first-team squad have been training with American football stars from St Louis Rams, who are preparing for their game against the New England Patriots at Wembley on Sunday.
US rapper Nicki Minaj refused the chance to meet Manchester City striker Mario Balotelli after a recent concert in the city, in favour of a trip to the local chicken takeaway.