With iOS 13.1 and above, you can use Apple's Shortcuts app to set your favourite BBC radio station to play via BBC Sounds when you switch off your alarm in the morning.
The iOS alarm is guaranteed to go off and wake you up with the sound you set in the Alarm app, even if the BBC Sounds app isn't open and your device's display is switched off. This wasn't the case with the iPlayer Radio app.
How can I wake up to BBC Sounds?
- Open the Shortcuts app and select the Automation tab
- Tap Create Personal Automation
- Under Events, select Alarm
- Make sure Is Stopped is ticked and then select the alarm you want BBC Sounds to start playing after
- Tap Next, then select Add Action
- In the list of suggestions offered, scroll down to see the stations from BBC Sounds that you usually play, then select what you'd like to wake up to
- Leave Show when run toggled off, then tap Next
- Switch Ask Before Running off, then tap Done
Now when you switch off your alarm in the morning, your favourite station will start to play via BBC Sounds.