Events Safety Guide
New version of the Purple Guide (March 2014)
Please note that there is a new online version of the ‘purple guide’, which aims to help organisers deliver successful events safely. It's been launched by the Events Industry Forum and developed through consultation with the industry and government agencies, and with the support of the Health & Safety Executive (HSE).
There is more about that on our news page about the Purple Guide.
The National Arenas Association (NAA) also produce their A-Guide, see more below.
Are you using the Safety App?
In areas of the business that issue staff with iPhones, the BBC Safety App can be used:
- to record changes to your risk assessment in a dynamic way
- during a recce to record issues, hazards and controls which you need to cover in your risk assessment
- For High Risk Activities you must still contact the High Risk team for advice and support
- More information can be found on using the App on the About page via the “More” button
- you can still access our safety guidelines on the myRisks website via 'bbc.co.uk/safety' which means it is available from many portable devices.
Further Sources of Information
- The National Arenas Association (NAA) Safety Advisory Group, produce a guide that aims to simplify health, safety and operational issues for event promoters.
- The A-Guide provides guidance for production-type events. It defines consistent health, safety and operational standards for event planning and management in NAA member venues and represents compliance with UK law, relevant guidance and best practice. The link is in our Recommended Links
- If you can’t find what you are looking for or need more advice and are working on a BBC Event or a production, then contact your Safety Advisor or the Safety Advice Line.
Search the site
Can't find what you need? Search here
Safety Guides - Quick Links
BBC Safety Policy (pdf)
Contractors (incl. vetted lists)
Events guidance - key links:
Health topics - key links:
BBC High Risk - key links:
BBC Journalism - key links:
BBC Productions - key links:
BBC Radio - key links:
BBC Security - key links:
BBC Sport - key links:
Cameraman knocks over Usain Bolt (BBC News)
About this site
This site describes what the BBC does in relation to managing its health, safety and security risks and is intended for those who work directly for the BBC.
It is not intended to provide instruction or guidance on how third parties should manage their risks. The BBC cannot be held liable for how this information is interpreted or used by third parties, nor provide any assurance that adopting it would provide any measure of legal compliance. More information.
Links: Some links on this site are only accessible when connected to the BBC network