Who is responsible for my Shared/Communal Aerial?

If you live in a multi-dwelling property such as a block of flats it is possible you all are using the same aerial to receive TV signals; this is known as a communal aerial. It’s usually the landlord or management committee’s responsibility to deal with any faults with a communal aerial.

It is worth first checking to see whether the problem is with your own equipment, or the local transmitter. If neighbours are having the same problem it may be that the aerial itself is at fault, or there may be an interfering signal. In either case, you will need to ask your landlord or management committee to solve the problem.


Checking for problems

Check cables and leads within your property to ensure the problem is not a simple installation fault. Please see our Freeview Installation guide for further details. 

To see whether there are any faults with the local transmitters use the BBC’s Transmitter Checker tool. This will help you to see if there are, or have been recently, transmitter faults in your local area. 


Electrical interference

There are differences between a reception problem and one caused by electrical interference. See our help guides which explain the differences. Our sister site, the Radio and Television Investigation Service (RTIS) also has useful information on how to distinguish the difference.

If it is potentially interference, your landlord or management committee can contact the regulator, Ofcom, for help with solving the problem, using their contact web form. Since it is a communal aerial, you will not be able to contact Ofcom directly.