Russia: Olesya Petrova
Mezzo-soprano - born 1982
BBC Cardiff Singer of the World finalist
Olesya Petrova was born in St Petersburg. She graduated from the Rimsky-Korsakov St Petersburg State Conservatoire in 2008 where she had studied with Professor Irina Bogacheva.
She has been a soloist with the St Petersburg Conservatoire Opera Theatre since 2007. Olesya won second prize at the first International Galina Vishnevskaya competition in Moscow in 2006 and second prize in the XI11 International Tchaikovsky competition in Moscow in 2007.
She has performed Lyubasha The Tsar's Bride for Perm Opera and Novosibirsk Opera and Amneris Aida in Bangkok. Oleysa's repertoire also includes Marfa Khovanshchina; Lel The Snow Maiden; Carmen Carmen; Olga Eugene Onegin; Countess Polina The Queen of Spades; Maddalena Rigoletto; Joan The Maid of Orleans and Ulrica Un ballo in maschera.
Olesya's concert repertoire includes works by Bach, Pergolesi, Mozart, Beethoven, Verdi, Berlioz, Wagner, Mahler and Prokofiev. Artists Olesya has performed with include Valery Gergiev, Leo Kremer, Fabio Mastrangelo and Vladimir Fedoseev. She has given solo recitals in St Petersburg, Moscow and Ekaterinburg and has toured in Europe, the USA, South America, Korea, China and Japan.
Future plans include Konchakovna Prince Igor in Zurich in 2012. In her spare time, Olesya enjoys the gym, cinema, reading and driving.
BBC Cardiff Singer of the World 2011: Final repertoire
- Nyet, bit' ne mozhet! (The Tsar's Bride) - Rimsky-Korsakov
- Re dell'abisso, affrettati (Un ballo in maschera) - Verdi
- Voi lo sapete, o mamma (Cavalleria rusticana) - Mascagni
- Habañera (Carmen) - Bizet
BBC Cardiff Singer of the World 2011: concert one repertoire
- Adieu, forêts (The Maid of Orleans) - Tchaikovsky
- Mon coeur s'ouvre à ta voix (Samson et Dalila) - Saint-Saëns
- Acerba voluttà (Adriana Lecouvreur) - Cilea
BBC Cardiff Singer of the World Song Prize 2011: recital one repertoire
- Erinnerung (Lieder und Gesange aus der Jugendzeit No 2) - Mahler
- Polo (7 Canciones Populares Españolas) - de Falla
- Après un rêve (Op 7 No 1) - Fauré
- Ja li v pole da ne travushka byla (Seven romances Op 47 No 7) - Tchaikovsky
- Probuzhdenije vesny (Satires Op 109 No 2) - Shostakovich