South Korea: Hye Jung Lee
Soprano - born 1983
BBC Cardiff Singer of the World finalist
Hye Jung Lee graduated from Seoul National University in 2006, with teacher Hyun Ju Yun. She continued her studies at the Hochschule für Musik, Dresden with Ilse Hahn and Mannes College of Music, New York with Beth Roberts.
She was the recipient of the German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD) Scholarship 2006-2008 and winner of Metropolitan Opera Council in Indiana District in 2010. Hye Jung won second prize at the 2008 Shizuoka International Opera Competition, third prize at the 58th ARD International Music Competition in 2009 and won the Career Bridges grant award in 2010.
Hye Jung joined the Merola Opera Program at San Francisco Opera in 2010 and performed Giannetta L'elisir d'amore and scenes from Ariadne auf Naxos Zerbinetta and A Midsummer Night's Dream Tytania there the same year.
Her repertoire includes Adele Die Fledermaus, Lauretta Gianni Schicchi, Ilia Idomeneo, Marie La fille du régiment, Zdenka Arabella, Nannetta Falstaff and Frasquita Carmen. She has also taken part in many concerts, including Mozart's C minor Mass, Bach's Weihnachts-Oratorium at Carnegie Hall and a UBS gala concert at the Alte Oper in Frankfurt.
In July 2012, Hye Jung will perform Madame Mao Nixon in China with San Francisco Opera. In her spare time, she enjoys movies and yoga.
BBC Cardiff Singer of the World 2011: Final repertoire
- Tornami a vagheggiar (Alcina) - Handel
- A vos jeux, mes amis ... Partagez-vous mes fleurs! (Hamlet) - Thomas
BBC Cardiff Singer of the World 2011: concert four repertoire
- Grossmächtige Prinzessin ... Als ein Gott kam Jeder gegangen (Ariadne auf Naxos) - R Strauss
- I am the wife of Mao Tse-tung (Nixon in China) - John Adams
BBC Cardiff Singer of the World Song Prize 2011: recital four repertoire
- Sweeter than roses (Pausanias) - Purcell
- Schlagende Herzen (Op 29 No 2) - R Strauss
- Ständchen (Op 17 No 2) - R Strauss
- La colombe poignardée (Chansons pour les oiseaux No 1) - Louis Beydts
- Le petit pigeon bleu (Chansons pour les oiseaux No 2) - Louis Beydts
- Old Sir Faulk (Six songs to poems by Edith Sitwell No 3) - Walton