Chile: Luis Olivares Sandoval
Tenor - born 1975
BBC Cardiff Singer of the World competitor
Luis Olivares Sandoval was born in Calama, Chile, and studied with Fernando Lara. He then joined the chorus of the Municipal Theatre of Santiago, and continued his studies with Clara Oyuela and Carlos Beltrami. He also studied with Hans Stein at the University of Chile.
His principal roles have included Don Basilio Le nozze di Figaro, Dorville Il Signor Bruschino, Florville La scala di seta, Rodolfo La bohème, Alfredo and Gaston La traviata, Fenton Falstaff, Tamino The Magic Flute, title role La clemenza di Tito, Nemorino L'elisir d'amore, Rinuccio Gianni Schicchi, Ferrando Così fan tutte, Narraboth Salome, and Steurmann Die Fliegende Holländer.
He has also taken part in concert performances of Verdi's Requiem, Bruckner's Te Deum, Mozart's Requiem, Bach's St John Passion and St Matthew Passion, Stravinsky's Les Noces, and numerous other works.
He won a critics' prize in 2000 for his performance in La clemenza di Tito. In 2005 he was due to tour Chile with the group of Three Chilean Tenors, and appears in El Buque Fantasma in the role of Timonel. Future engagements also included Mozart Requiem and Così fan tutte in Santiago.
In his spare time, Luis enjoys walking, reading and listening to music.
Singer of the World with Orchestra Concert 5 repertoire
- Massenet: Traduire!...Pourquoi me réveiller, Werther
- Mozart: Un'aura amorosa, Così fan tutte
- Gounod: L'amour! L'amour!...Ah! Lève-toi, soleil!, Roméo et Juliette
- Rossini: Domine deus, Petite Messe Solennelle
- Donizetti: Una furtiva lagrima, L'elisir d'amore
- Gounod: Quel trouble inconnu...Salut demeure, Faust
- Verdi: Ella mi fu rapita - Parmi veder le lagrime, Rigoletto