Turkey: Burak Bilgili
Bass - born 1974
BBC Cardiff Singer of the World and Song Prize competitor
Burak was born in Konya-Aksehir, Turkey, and studied at Istanbul Mimar Sinan University before continuing his training at the Academica Lirico Internationale, Parma, the San Francisco Opera Merola Programme and the Academy of Vocal Arts, Philadelphia, where he is still studying.
A first prize-winner in the 2002 Belvedere and Alfredo Kraus competitions, Burak has had many other competition successes, including first place in the Neue Stimmen International Opera Competition in 2001 and second place in Jeunesses Musicales Montreal International Competition in 2002.
He made his US debut as Sparafucile Rigoletto for Baltimore Opera and his debut at La Scala Milan as Duke Alfonso Lucrezia Borgia.
In January 2003 he sang the role of Raimondo Lucia di Lammermoor for Palm Beach Opera, a role he then repeated for Rome Opera.
Future plans included Don Basilio The Barber of Seville for Vancouver Opera and Pittsburgh Opera and Leporello Don Giovanni for the Metropolitan Opera, New York.
Burak's hobbies include playing basketball, cycling and computing.
Singer of the World with Orchestra Concert 3 repertoire
- Verdi: Studia il passo...Come dal ciel precipita, Macbeth
- Adnan Saygun: Bozlak, 10 Song Animations Op 41 No 1
- Verdi: Che mai vegg'io...Infelice! e tuo credevi, Ernani
- Rossini: La calunnia, Il barbiere di Siviglia
Rosenblatt Recital Song Prize Concert 1 repertoire
- Adnan Saygun: Mavilim, Op 41
- Adnan Saygun: Köroglu, Op 41
- Poulenc: Serenade, Chansons gaillardes No 8
- Schubert: Auf dem Flusse, Winterreise No 7
- Schubert: Der Doppelgänger, Schwanengesang No 13
- Schubert: Aufenthalt, Schwanengesang No 5