Portugal: Dora Rodrigues
Soprano - born 1979
BBC Cardiff Singer of the World and Song Prize competitor
Dora Rodrigues studied singing in Braga and Porto, then in Italy, and is currently studying with Elisabete Matos in Madrid. In 2000 she won first prize in the opera category at the Tomaz Alcaide International Singing Contest.
She has appeared in concerts in Portugal, Belgium, Brazil and Canada. Dora sings regularly for Portuguese opera companies, including the National Theatre of S. Carlos and the Porto company.
Roles include Zerlina (Don Giovanni), Elisetta (Il matrimonio segreto), Musetta (La bohème), Frasquita (Carmen), Emily (Help, help the Globolinks), Polly (The Beggar's Opera), Nannetta (Falstaff), Susanna (Le nozze di Figaro) and Adina (L'elisir d'amore). In Modena and Ferrara, she has sung Echo (Ariadne auf Naxos) and in Seville, Lucinda (Don Chisciotte).
In 2008 she recorded two CDs, one of arias and duets, and Il segreto di Susanna with the Royal Liverpool Philharmonic and Vasily Petrenko. She has worked with conductors including Donato Renzetti, Marc Tardue, Marko Letonja and Zoltan Pesko and stage directors including Graham Vick, Bob Wilson and Tony Servillo.
In 2002 she sang with José Carreras in Portugal. Future plans include recitals in Portugal and representing the European Opera Centre in a special event for the European Commission in London.
Dora enjoys tango and salsa dancing and making jewellery.
BBC Cardiff Singer of the World 2009: concert five repertoire
- Je voudrais bien savoir ... Ah! je ris (Faust) - Gounod
- Donde lieta uscì (La bohème) - Puccini
- Ich weiss es selber nicht ... Meine Lippen sie küssen so heiss (Giuditta) - Lehár
BBC Cardiff Singer of the World Song Prize 2009: recital three repertoire
- Le charme (Op 2 No 2) - Chausson
- Les papillons (Op 2 No 3) - Chausson
- Sérénade italienne (Op 2 No 5) - Chausson
- Le colibri (Op 2 No 7) - Chausson
- Allerseelen (Op 10 No 8) - Richard Strauss
- Cäcilie (Op 27 No 2) - Richard Strauss