Germany: Matthias Rexroth
Counter-tenor - born 1970
BBC Cardiff Singer of the World and Song Prize competitor
The competition's first counter-tenor was born in Nürnberg and studied the oboe at the Staatliche Hochschule für Musik, Karlsruhe before changing to vocal studies. He then completed his training at the Schola Cantorum Basiliensis.
Matthias won first prize at the 2000 Francisco Viñas Competition, Barcelona and the 2000 Belvedere Competition, Vienna.
Operatic roles have included Oberon Midsummer Night's Dream for Darmstadt Opera and the title role in Giulio Cesare at the Saarbrüken Opera.
Plans following the competition included Hamor Jephtha and Didymus Theodora with Nikolaus Harnoncourt in Vienna and Graz, Ottone Poppea at Hamburg State Opera, Prince Go-Go in Ligeti's Le Grand Macabre for San Francisco Opera and Graz as well as many concerts.
In his spare time Matthias enjoys music, cinema, theatre, visiting art galleries and sport.
Singer of the World with Orchestra Concert 2 repertoire
- Handel: Frondi tenere...Ombra mai fu, Serse
- Gluck: Ahimè! Dove trascorsi?...Che farò senza Euridice?, Orfeo et Euridice
- Rossini: Oh patria!...Di tanti paliti, Tancredi
Rosenblatt Recital Song Prize Concert 5 repertoire
- Purcell: Sweeter than Roses, Pausanias
- Schubert: Nachtstück, Op 36 No 2
- Rossini: Ariette à l'ancienne, Péchés de Vieillesse Vol 3 No 11
- Vaccai: L'Addio
- Ginastera: Triste, 5 Canciones Populares Argentinas Op 10 No 2