Greece: Ariana Chris
Mezzo-soprano - born 1975
BBC Cardiff Singer of the World and Song Prize competitor
Ariana Chris is a Greek-Canadian mezzo-soprano who has been a member of Young Artists Program L'Atelier Lyrique de L'Opéra de Montréal since 2002. In her apprenticeship, Ariana Chris performed Zweite Knabe Die Zauberflöte, Zulma L'italiana in Algeri, and as Myrtale Thaïs, touring as Zweite Dame Die Zauberflöte, as Hänsel Hänsel und Gretel and as Carmen and Mercedes Carmen.
In 2004, Ariana Chris was a finalist at the Palm Beach Opera Competition and at the Metropolitan Opera New England Region, debuted a composition written for her by Constantine Caravassilis and sang Giannetta L'elisir d'amore with Lake George Opera. She also performed at the 2004 Summer Olympics for the Canada House in Athens, Greece.
Other performances include Myrtale Thaïs for Kentucky Opera, Angiolina La Cenerentola at the Orford Arts Centre, Davide Penitente with La Chapelle de Montréal under the direction of Yannick Nézet-Seguin, a gala concert at the Aspen Music Festival and Dido in Dido and Aeneas staged by the National Theatre School of Canada at the Monument-National.
In 2005 Ariana Chris was due to record a solo début recital for national broadcast on CBC Radio.
In her leisure time, she enjoys watching films, cooking and singing Greek folk music.
Singer of the World with Orchestra Concert 1 repertoire
- Gounod: Depuis hier je cherche...Que fais-tu, blanche tourterelle, Roméo et Juliette
- Mozart: Non so più cosa son, Le nozze di Figaro
- Rossini: Una voce poco fa, Il barbiere di Siviglia
- Pasatieri: I'm an Actress, The Seagull
Rosenblatt Recital Song Prize Concert 4 repertoire
- Korngold: Der Kranke, 5 Songs Op 38 No 2
- Debussy: La flûte de Pan, Chansons de Bilitis No 1
- Debussy: Le tombeau des Naïades, Chansons de Bilitis No 3
- Caravassilis: Ares Enyalios
- Hundley: Seashore Girls
- Hundley: Straightway beauty on me waits