England: Anna Stephany
Mezzo-soprano - born 1977
BBC Cardiff Singer of the World and Song Prize competitor
Anna Stephany studied in London at the Guildhall School of Music & Drama and the National Opera Studio. In 2005 she won the Gold Medal Competition at the Guildhall and the Kathleen Ferrier Award.
Operatic roles include Concepción (L'heure espagnole), title role (Mignon), Euridice and Speranza (Orfeo - Opera North), Juno (Semele - British Youth Opera), Proserpina (Orfeo - Festival d'Aix-en-Provence), Irene (Theodora), Dorabella (Cosi fan tutte - Garsington Opera), Mercedes (Carmen - Russian National Orchestra) and Ghost in Harrison Birtwistle's The Last Supper (London Sinfonietta).
Anna's appearances with the BBC Symphony Orchestra include Wellgunde (Götterdämmerung) under Donald Runnicles (BBC Proms 2007) and Janáček's Glagolitic Mass with Pierre Boulez (BBC Proms 2008). On the LSO Live label she has recorded Mozart's Requiem, given in London and New York with Sir Colin Davis.
Anna has also worked with conductors such as David Zinman, René Jacobs, Sir Charles Mackerras and Sir Neville Marriner and with most of the UK's leading orchestras. She is a keen recitalist and has performed with Iain Burnside, Simon Lepper, Roger Vignoles and Malcolm Martineau.
Future highlights include St Matthew Passion (OAE, Concertgebouw), Hermia (A Midsummer Night's Dream - Garsington Opera), Handel's Theodora with Paul McCreesh and Dusapin's To be Sung (Ensemble Intercontemporain) in Paris.
Anna enjoys swimming, baking and cycling.
BBC Cardiff Singer of the World 2009: concert two repertoire
- Oh! La pitoyable aventure! (L'heure espagnole) - Ravel
- Lieto del dolce incarco - Se Romeo t'uccise un figlio (I Capuleti e i Montecchi) - Bellini
- Dopo notte (Ariodante) - Handel
BBC Cardiff Singer of the World Song Prize 2009: recital one repertoire
- Lied der Anne Lyle (Op 85 No 1) - Schubert
- A Hymne to God the Father - Pelham Humphrey
- The Cloths of Heaven (Op 30 No 3) - Thomas Dunhill
- Fêtes galantes - Reynaldo Hahn
- Le printemps - Reynaldo Hahn
- Kennst du das Land (Goethe Lieder, Book 1 No 9) - Wolf