Sweden: Ida Falk Winland
Soprano - born 1982
BBC Cardiff Singer of the World competitor
Ida Falk Winland began studying cello and piano at the age of ten. Formal singing lessons began at the age of 16, in 2002 winning a scholarship to the Royal College of Music. She currently studies with Lillian Watson at the Benjamin Britten International Opera School (RCM).
Her concerts have included Mozart's Mass in C Minor (Mackerras) and Bach's B Minor Mass (Schreier) at St John's, Smith Square.
Recent engagements include concert arias by Mozart and Mahler's Fourth Symphony in venues including Tokyo Opera City, Shanghai Concert Hall, Taipei National Concert Hall and Hong Kong Cultural Centre Concert Hall; concerts and radio broadcasts with the Gothenburg and Swedish Radio Symphony Orchestra and Finnish and English Chamber Orchestras; cover for La Fête étrange at ROH and concerts.
Future engagements include the role of Euridice in Monteverdi's L'orfeo for Drottningholm Opera House (Stockholm), concerts with conductor Okko Kamu and the Helsinki Philharmonic Orchestra, with the Lahti Symphony Orchestra.
Radio broadcasts as Artist in Residence for Swedish Classical Radio during 2007-2009 include Schoenberg's Pierrot Lunaire.
Ida will also perform as the soloist with the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra of Stockholm at the Nobel Prize Award Ceremony 2007.
Her hobbies include kick-boxing, cuisine and travel.
Repertoire details for Concert 4 and Recital 3:
Concert 4 - Wednesday 13 June
- Handel: Tornami a vagheggiar (Alcina)
- Sibelius: Var det en dröm? (5 Songs, Op 37 No 4)
- Stravinsky: No word from Tom (The Rake's Progress)
- Massenet: Je marche sur tous les chemins... Obéissons (Manon)
With BBC National Orchestra of Wales conducted by Jacek Kaspszyk
Recital 3 - Monday 11 June
- Schubert: Rastlose Liebe (Op 5 No 1)
- Schubert: Frühlingsglaube (Songs, Op 20 No 2)
- Fauré: Toujours (Poème d'un jour, Op.21 No 2)
- Enescu: Languir me fais (Sept Chansons de Clément Marot, Op 15 No 2)
- Gosta Nystroem: Det enda (Sinfonia del mare)
- Sibelius: Flickan kom ifrån sin älsklings möte (Songs, Op 37 No 5)
Accompanist: Gary Matthewman