Zyg describes his stye as iconic, cinematic and theatrical. With a common familiarity to make you feel comfortable, whilst finding yourself on a film set!
1. Who is your style hero?
Heath Robinson. He is functional, making do from whatever is available. And Thomas Heatherwick who designed the new Routemaster bus and the Olympic Cauldron
2. If you had an unlimited budget to spend on your home what improvements would you make?
A conservatory, encompassing the existing kitchen and adjoining study with multiple entrances.
3. Would you have the room you created in your own home?
If we still had any kids of a suitable age, of course.
4. What did you learn from taking part in ‘Your Home In Their Hands’?
Always have a Plan B, a Plan C, and even a Plan D! You can't foresee every hurdle, but you can side step or compromise on them.
5. What is your golden rule when it comes to interior design?
Detail, detail, detail. Measure, re-measure and measure again!
6. What is your DIY tool that you just can’t live without?
Bradley, my box wood handle, pocket-sized brad; for marking out, holding doors open and pre-drilling screw holes.
7. What is your biggest DIY achievement?
Converting our loft space into an extra bedroom. In a bare brick, New York industrial apartment-style.
8. What’s your biggest DIY disaster?
Fitting a backlit-floating ceiling to the same room, that was too heavy for the support chains and it collapsed. No injuries caused except hurt pride!
9. If you could design a room in any building in the world, what room would you design and why?
A 24/7 restaurant. I've always wanted to design a multi-faceted, multi-level space that can be easily manipulated by changing lighting, floor covering and table configuration to accommodate whatever time of day and whatever clientele.